By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PH, my thoughts (SPOILERS)

Let's see...I started to play the game around 2:30pm and played to about 4:15am, with of course breaks for lunch, bathroom, brushing teeth, dinner etc and overall about 12 hours of play.

Controls - Good for the most part. Link moves fluidly and the sword swiping is mostly good. I do have difficulty with rolling though. I've only been able to do it like 10 times so far in the time I've played. There is also some general difficulty at times, like with bombs.

Graphics - They're nice for the DS. Particulary nice are the ocean graphics. However, they do pale in comparison to The Wind Waker's graphics. Also, Link looks ugly. His head is way too big (or is his body too small?)  and looks deformed (not as deformed as in the trailers though)

Difficulty in terms of damage taken - A lot harder then The Wind Waker so far, actually, About 15 deaths, although I think about half of them were because I had an issue with the controls. But yeah, considering on my recent playthrough of TWW (which I finished last night) I only died one time, PH is a heck of a lot harder.

Length - Pretty decent for so far. I beat the first three dungeons and got the *SPOILERS* three fairy spirits of power, wisdom and courage. I'm currently on the Ghost Ship. I have to kill this boss. I couldn't do it the first few tries and my reflexes are kinda bad since it's late, so I stopped playing for the night.*SPOILERS OVER* So yeah, at this point I'm about 12 hours in after beating the first three dungeons. From what I hear there's *SPOILERS* nine dungeons *SPOILERS over* in the game so w00t.

Music - It's alright. Seems to be mostly the same four or five songs over and over again. Each dungeon besides the Sea Ocean dungeon has the song, every island has one of two songs. The ocean song is alright but not as good as the one in TWW.

Puzzles - They're good, and some of them are pretty clever. I did have to use my strategy guide for one or two, like the one where you *SPOILERS* need to close your DS to copy the thing :D I would have never figured it out, ever. My favorite puzzle so far would be the one on a secret island (I solved this one myself like most of the puzzles). Anyway, the island has no map. You have to walk around the island and make your own map for it. Then you need to hit certain switches in a pattern. It might not sound great, but I don't want to completely spoil it as it's really clever. So yeah, the puzzles are pretty good. *SPOILERS over*

Story - Kinda weak so far. The characters aren't as likable or as strong (plot development wise) as in The Wind Waker. IDK, like the mailman. He's very annoying and I want to shoot him out of the sky, compared to the pleasant Rito mailmen from TWW. Also, they used Navi's voice for Ciela. Her exact voice clips from OoT. And continiuty errors. The fairies in this game resemble OoT/MM fairies rather then the TWW fairies. *SPOILERS* The pirates have all entirely disappeared now that Tetra is gone, Linebeck is too irritating and Ciela being the fairy of courage was predictable and somewhat dull, maybe the plot will improve, I'll just have to see.*SPOILERS OVER*
Dungeons - They're good I guess. *Spoilers* I mean they're pretty easy...the first dungeon was hysterically easy, the 2nd and 3rd had some challenge but not really that hard. Good but not as good as TWW's, the first was easier then anything in TWW and the second and third dungeons were about equal to the first and second dungeons from TWW. The Sea Ocean dungeon irritates me with the stealth and having to do it over and over. About equal to the third or fourth dungeon in TWW in diffiuclty. *Spoilers over*

Bosses - All of the bosses so far are pretty creative. *spoilers* The first one is simple, throw your boomerang to gather it together. The second one is also simple and easy, throw bombs into the cyclones. The third boss was really creative. It's invisible, and the top screen is from it's vision. You need to wait till you see yourself looking right in the middle of the top screen before you pull out an arrow and fire and hit the boss. The second stage isn't as good and the boss is a bit too easy though. *spoilers over*

Other - I do like how you can customize your ship. Nice feature. Also, I'm a bit disappointed that there's no bottles, no compasses to find in the dungeons, only heart CONTAINERS and seemingly you get the largest wallet at the start. (I know it goes up to 1100 rupees at least, I think it goes up to 5000 but I'm not sure) Also RUPOORS FTW :D Another thing though. The feel from the game is a lot different. I don't know what it is but...it really doesn't feel like a sequel to TWW. I just can't put my finger on it but the tone seems different and just a lot of other stuff. Other then the beginning cutscene, Link, Tetra, the graphics, a few of the music tracks and the Great Sea, it really feels almost like an entirely unrelated game.

Overall - So far so good. The game is the best 2D Zelda I've played so far. However, it almost every aspect it pales compared to The Wind Waker, as well as Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Still though, just because it isn't as good as its predecessor doesn't mean it's bad. After all, The Wind Waker was an amazing game that IMO is my second favorite Zelda. Anyway, I can't wait to play some more tomorrow! :)

What do you think of PH?

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Around the Network

It's awesome! To roll have the stylus right on the edge of the screen and draw back and forth very quickly. It's fairly easy to do once you get that quick back and forth motion down.

BTW: If you live in NA and register the game online you get a free "Feather Stylus" sent to you. Cool, am I right?

People really should stop using acronyms in the headline. At first I thought this thread was about your theories concerning the nature of Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2. =P

PH could also mean Poop Hour which directly related to my other thread about Sudoku toilet paper.

@Parokki: You are so right, I think we should have the official acronym as "Phtm Hrglss". Thoughts?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
PH could also mean Poop Hour which directly related to my other thread about Sudoku toilet paper.

...:|

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Galaki said:

I read that as "Soriku's toilet paper".

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

jjseth said:
Galaki said:

I read that as "Soriku's toilet paper".

Lol me too XD.