By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Any Wii touraments around? Who like to join one?

For too long casual gamers are neglected in gaming touraments and heavy emphasis is placed on PC games, like DotA, unreal, racing, etc. Competitive games are usually for hardcore gamers who spend countless hours each day training, and most people don't and can't take it up. Finally spring is here for all grandmothers, kids and everyone.

Wii has turned the winter into spring! And with that many many party and casual games have emerged. I am staying in Singapore and got a Wii from California in August. My friends and I organise Wii parties every weekend to relieve ourselves of work stress. There is a thrill everytime when we win one another in a round of Wii Tennis or a race on Mario Kart 64. These games doesn't require much pre-training. They involve your real-life skills as much as your gaming skills, e.g. bowling.

I keep wondering is there a competition for Wii casual gamers anywhere in the World so far? If there is, how successful were they? If not, how successful do you think they will be. Please share, if you like to see a Wii/Casual game tourament. I certainly wish to see one from where I come from, to give everyone a chance to be a winner, not just a selected few.

clouette =)

WW Market share prediction on 31st March 08 (I make this prediction on 13 Dec 07):

Wii - 50%

X360 - 30%

PS3 - 20%

Around the Network

I would love to participate in something like that - casual tournaments - which sounds like those "old-fogey" bowling / batting tournaments they have in retirement homes, but why not? It doesn't have to be hardcore competition for gaming to be fun!

Oh, and welcome to the forum! 

Thanks for the warm welcome! Other forums are not so friendly.

This is what I am thinking:

- Find a LCDTV/Wii and location sponsor
- Have a monthly grand prix style tourament where pple login or just walk-in to register
- Have a few categories - maybe start with Wii Sports games
- Participants just come to compete in one or more games
- For bowling, each participant go for 3 rounds
- For tennis, have 2 ^ n participants and have knockout rounds
- Points given to top 20 participants
- Every 3/6 months a season ends and grand prix champion emerge
- Prizes can be simple, since everyone play for fun
- Objective is to promote casual and party gaming, which Wii is famed for
- Sponsors can use events to promote healthy lifestyles, real sports (e.g. bowling academy)
- Then introduce new games with new season, like Mario Kart, Raving Rabbids shooting, etc.
- If successful, have regional and national level events
- Have Nintendo to sanction the events
- If even more successful, organise International events, Casual Games Olympics
- Kick hardcore gaming touraments ass and casual games rule! Just like how the Rabbids are coming!

Contribute your ideas, then we make it reality!

WW Market share prediction on 31st March 08 (I make this prediction on 13 Dec 07):

Wii - 50%

X360 - 30%

PS3 - 20%