By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No pricecut for PS3?

Kantor said:
Squilliam said:

I once opened up a readers digest to a story that started with "First she cried, and then she got busy" so does that mean you're a girl?

1. You don't deserve those posts, they were all anti Sony, anti PS3 spam messages. You should have been banned long ago for your trolling antics.

2/3. But two severe price cuts spaced two years apart = good? The reason why the 20GB didn't sell better was because it was always in short supply. If people were desperate for a lower priced PS3 and simply could not easily afford the $600 price tag of the 60GB they would have gone for the 20GB, no? However sales statistics really back me up here because that 20GB SKU hardly sold, which is a good thing since mandatory installs would chew through that in now time. I think you're moving too quickly, im not that kinda boy. 

With the recession going on people are even more price sensitive than they were a year ago. It makes more sense because of the recession (which also cuts the component costs of the machine too) for them to cut the price again to stimulate demand. They don't want to discourage everyone from buying the Arcade, they just want the people who would have otherwise bought the Arcade who could have easily bought the Premium. I.E. they want people who would have paid a maximum of say $200 to buy an Arcade and everyone else to buy a Premium. Cutting the price of the Xbox 360 makes sense because the profit from services such as Live are truely massive.

4. There are also rumours about you, but MM476 told me to remain silent.

5. Just because the PS2 hit that price doesn't mean the 360 will. Also see 2.

6. You also forgot about Dre.

1) Oh, please. You are such a pathetic Sony fanboy! Accept that your console is in last place, and it's not going to overtake the Wii! Then you can watch a Blu-ray or something, since the PS3 has no games!

2/3) Sony canned the 20GB after a few months because nobody wanted it. It had nothing to do with supply, the 20GB just sucked. And not the good kind of sucking. The bad kind. A $100 price cut in 2007 completely turned the tide of the console war (Wii doesn't count), and turned forums everywhere from "PS3 is dooooomed!" to "360 is dooooooomed!" for a full nine months! You could have a baby in that time, and never once in your pregnancy would you hear "PS3 is doooooomed!". And then you could name your baby PS3, but he would get bullied as a child.

People were willing to pay $600 for a premium model over $500 for a PS3 with half the features taken out. However, people are paying $200 for an Arcade over $300 for a Pro (Arcade accounts for half of all 360 sales, and somebody must be buying Elites). This means that the extra features of the Pro do not justify an extra $100 of price, according to the average consumer. But average consumers suck, because they bought more copies of Carnival Games than SoTC. So, that basically rules out only price cutting the Arcade.

Now, as I was saying, in a recession particularly, Microsoft does not want to be losing money. Yes, Live makes them money, but not all 360 owners will buy Live, so it's not guaranteed this would help in the short term. Plus, you can apparently get a year of Live for $30, which is $20 less than the amount of profit they have just lost on the Pro. The only feasible way they could cut the price of the Pro would be to remove features. But guess what a Pro with removed features is? It's an Arcade. They already have an entry-level mass market price console. So either they stay put, or lose more money.

4) Oh, he just spreads those rumours about everyone so his love for 10 year old obese emo goth girls seems less weird. It doesn't work. The rumours he's been spreading about you involve several sheep, a rope, and a bunch of bananas.

5) If MS cuts its price at the rate you are suggesting, it'll hit $99 by the end of 2011.

6) Whoops.

Are we in agreement now?

1. Yeah like Blue Dragon, then Viva Pinata and then Too Human were going to save the Xbox 360. The PS3 has games you fool! Genji: Days of the Blade is the most realistic war simulator/RPG out there, all thanks to the power of Tha Cell.

2/3. If noone wanted the 20 GB PS3, then why was the 20GB always out of stock whilst the 60GB was always available? Especially as the people buying the PS3 at the time knew they could always upgrade the HDD later if the wanted to. Sony lost more money on the 20GB than the 60GB and they limited suppy to limit losses from that SKU. I named my child PS3 when I got my console because I knew that in the future I wanted my child to be seen as being great like the PS3 was when shes older. Yes, PS3 is a girls name didn't you know? But actually you wouldn't because you're too caught up with sleeping with your Xbox 360. Have you made it pregnant yet?

Microsoft is not losing money, if you read between the lines of their financial reports you would see that infact the Xbox 360 is carrying the E+D division and not the other way around. The Xbox 360 is far more profitable than the face of the financial reports let on. Live makes money, but the thing is that Live makes money every year, so that $30 becomes $90 in just 3 years of Live and that same user would buy 7 games in that time with a royalty payment of $7.5 each or $52.5. So really its a balancing act between the long term. Its not as simple as what you say, its not a simple $50 loss because thats whats convenient and easy for you to calculate with.

4. I protest! They weren't bananas! That dude we're talking about is probably the scariest person on Vgchartz who also has mod powerz. Be careful...

5. Its not about the rate, but the journey to get there. If they can sell more now then the PS3 cannot sell more later, its quite a balancing act.

6. We agree.

Tease.

Around the Network
emitcowboys said:
Did you ever think that maybe just maybe MS is gonna look into those canadian sales and see if the $150 price is worth doing in America.

nope i disagree

Wyku said:
Well, you said no Xbox would be $150 this year as there has/is ;). My guess is that they're testing the waters for the response to the $150 price tag on the Arcade in a small market like Canada (that actually buys their product and is pretty much the same as the US) before making a decision on when or if to drop the price.

also nope i disagree