By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blu-Ray ouselling HD DVD 4:! in Europe

Things aren't looking good for HD DVD across the pond. It seems that it is being outsold by Blu-Ray 4:1 in the UK.

Of course, the EU in general is rather insignificant in the format war as a whole, as HDTV adoption is almost non-existent in the region. The market is fairing a little better in the UK compared to mainland Europe, but even there it is still pitifully small.

How's the format war going across all territories? Blu-Ray is consistantly outselling HD DVD 2:1 in NA, and it is reported that Blu-Ray has over 90% market share in Japan, a claim backed up by the sales rankings of Blu-Ray and HD DVD products on Amazon.jp. Also, we must remember that HDTV adoption in Japan is much higher than it is in the States, so that number could be far more significant that the sales ratio for NA.

Overall, things aren't looking so good for HD DVD.

Not to mention the fact that Blu-Ray should be the winner, and many have predicted it all along, as Gizmodo so succintly put it back in 2004, "Blu-Ray is not only technically superior to HD DVD, it has a far stronger corporate backing, and has demonstrated the ability to have more content available to push the format."

This statement still holds true today. The format is technically superior to HD DVD, is supported by just about all CE manufacturers except for Toshiba (compared to HD DVD which is really on backed by Toshiba), and has far more content available on the format, due to the exclusivity of major film studios like Sony Pictures, Fox, Disney/Buena Vista, and Lionsgate.

Around the Network

With much of Europe favoring PS3 over 360 and the hddvd add on not being a big seller hddvd is screwed there.

We'll never know if HD DVD is screwed in Europe. The format war will be over long before it matters over there.

I just can't imagine Blu-ray becoming a standard...I mean...

Imagine going up to your friend and saying,

"Hey, let's go rent a Blu-ray."

Something about that just doesn't make sense. And imagine all the movies you rent having blue boxes. BLUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS THAT IDEA NOT MIND BLOWING?!!

In my local mediamarket the Blu Ray department is 2 times so big than the HD DVD departement and people are saying that Blu Ray, sales very well (still DVD sells the most).

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

Something about that just doesn't make sense. And imagine all the movies you rent having blue boxes. BLUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you say now  'hey lets go rent a DVD' XD?

I always say 'Hey lets go rent a movie' .

konnichiwa said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Do you say now 'hey lets go rent a DVD' XD?

I always say 'Hey lets go rent a movie' .

Same.  If nothing else, we can all call them "Blurry movies" lol.