By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are GameStop playing at?

A few days ago, it came to light on the web that GameStop was easing up on its push of used sales for games less than 60 days old, in an effort to "improve vendor relations."  From Kotaku:

According to a GameStop manager who forwarded us details of that internal e-mail, the company is altering one of its more aggressive sales tactics, one which prompts employees to offer a used version of a new title brought to the sales desk. The GameStop Point of Sale system is said to no longer prompt employees to push that used copy for 60 days after the game's initial release.

I work at GameStop, and was at my store when we received the e-mail in question.  Chances are Activision, EA, and the rest were bitching about the company's aggressive emphasis on used items, and an agreement was made to ease off on the pushing of used items in place of new for such recent releases.  I was rather happy when we received the e-mail, and thought it was a very good thing.

Then I showed up for work today, and discovered an order from corporate requiring us to ship a number of our new titles back to the warehouse.  Many titles were on the list, including the likes of Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV, and Killzone 2.  We were required to not just ship a few copies of said titles, but our entire stock, including any spare collector's editions.  We shipped off ~32 pounds of goods.   Essentially, we were shipping off just about every popular title released in the past six months that had been on the market for over 60 days.  As a result, we are now basically forced to sell used copies of these titles to consumers, as we have no other option.  

So while we may be easing off on the sales of used items for games less than two months old, we now have no choice but to sell used copies of many titles that are just past that mark.  I guess this is corporate's way of getting back at publishers.

• Is GameStop really doing what I think they're doing?
  • To any others that work at GameStop, did you receive a similar order for your store?

Around the Network

I really do not see that working out well for them. Some people buy only new and if they have only used........

I will take a look around at my Local Gamestop tuesday when I pick up my preorder.

Not to mention what the game makers might do......

Jackoffs trying to shake up the industry obviously with no concept of how fickle and intelligent the gamer population is. Seriously if you want to try and cockblock on gamers getting games they will find someplace else to get them. Like crackheads with class. I'm not joking.

They are aware that BOTH Wal-Mart and Target sell new games for the same price? I don't get people who buy used games from Gamestop when a brand new copy is only 5 bucks more. It really makes no sense and it shows how greedy gamestop is since they pay for less than half of what they sell those games for

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

I went into a Gamestop maybe 2 days ago with my mom because she was asking if any good games were released and I was like "I dunno wanna go look" and she said yes... while I was looking I didnt see any KZ2 or infamous'... I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Around the Network

Wait i will call my friend who works at gamestop

Well, he said his branch got the same order. though they kept one or two copies of them all

Hm. Seems I jumped the gun on this a bit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16370391&postcount=15

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16370417&postcount=20

looks like GS are really putting a tough fight against ACTI on who is the biggest asshole in the universe.