By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - No new Xbox console in 2010

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19960/Rumor-New-Xbox-Console-in-2010-We-Tell-You-the-Truth/

1UP reported on Monday that Microsoft plans to release a new Xbox console as early as next year, featuring beefed-up Xbox 360 hardware and built-in Project Natal technology. From the 1UP report:

Microsoft will not only release Natal as an add-on for the Xbox 360, it will come standard with the next Xbox console.

Yes, there will be a new Xbox console next fall.

However, the new console won't just be an Xbox 360 with a camera, though -- we've heard it will be considered a new platform and carry a new name (Xbox Natal?). It's not clear what sort of upgrades we might see, but some have suggested it will be an slight upgrade of the current Xbox 360 technology.

1UP speculates on the idea that Microsoft could try a similar move such as the one done by Nintendo, which basically built the Wii around the GameCube hardware, with the motion-sensing "Wiimote" being the real addition:

Current Xbox 360 games would be playable on it, but future games would be able to take advantage of the added muscle. Similar to what we see in the PC space, games played on the more advanced Xbox would look or perform better, but publishers will still be able to support owners of both systems. Some developers have complained that they've already maxed out the Xbox 360; perhaps this will give them room to expand.

Make no mistake, we wouldn't be talking about the sort of hardware leap we've seen with Xbox (or most other) platforms in the past, and we're not talking about Microsoft ending one console cycle and starting another. We're talking about an evolution of the Xbox 360; similar hardware but upgraded, repackaged, and rebranded.

Over recent years, we have received information on Microsoft's future plans for the Xbox platform, and that's why, among other topics, we extensively covered 3DV Systems' Z-Cam. Avid TeamXbox.com readers know we were the first publication to report that Microsoft signed IBM to create the CPU for the Xbox 360 (at a time when no one would believe Microsoft and IBM would work together or that the Xbox platform would use a non-x86 CPU) and that Microsoft was doing research on video-based motion sensing.

Today, I can tell you that I have obtained the first details on the next Xbox (info that we'll reveal in the coming weeks) and that's why we can confirm that the rumor reported by 1UP is false. Microsoft is NOT launching a new, upgraded Xbox 360 disguised as a new Xbox in 2010 (although built-in Natal technology is a possibility for a new edition of the Xbox 360, similar to the Elite or Arcade flavors).

It's not our intention to tease you, but for now the only thing I'm going to say about everything I heard regarding the next Xbox is that it won't launch until a certain type of television becomes more widespread because... (be sure to check out our Twitter account to learn more)

I think they are waiting for those 3d TVs

Around the Network
matt247 said:

I think they are waiting for those 3d TVs

3D TV's are out now, I own one... 3D ready that is...

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

It said "become more widespread" though.

in addition to built-in Natal tech, a key feature of the next Xbox would be full HD stereoscopic 3D visuals similar to 3D movie theatres.
http://twitter.com/TeamXbox/status/2188948007

MS should hold off until 2011 or 2012 before launching a new console. 360 owners backlash could result in low sales for the next XBox if they release it to early.
A November launch date in US and Japan is almost a guarantee but I have no idea whether it would launch in the PAL/Europe region in November making it a worldwide launch. PAL/Europe is often delayed for a few months after the Japan/NA launch for most console systems.

Around the Network

This is interesting. The upgrades might be used mainly for the additional frames needed for the 3D stuff.

matt247 said:
in addition to built-in Natal tech, a key feature of the next Xbox would be full HD stereoscopic 3D visuals similar to 3D movie theatres.
http://twitter.com/TeamXbox/status/2188948007

wait what? now that's innovation on a console DO WANT!!!

PS3beats360 said:
MS should hold off until 2011 or 2012 before launching a new console. 360 owners backlash could result in low sales for the next XBox if they release it to early.
A November launch date in US and Japan is almost a guarantee but I have no idea whether it would launch in the PAL/Europe region in November making it a worldwide launch. PAL/Europe is often delayed for a few months after the Japan/NA launch for most console systems.

I think you missed the point..... as well as the article...

They are saying that MS wants to wait until 3D HDTV's are more widespread, which will be like 3-4 years from now until they are affordable and fairly common.

They are also saying that a new, upgraded, repackaged 360 will not be released next year with Natal (but Natal could still come equipped with new 360's at that point).

Next 1up posts "we can now confirm that the denial of our rumor has been proven to be false. therefore our original rumor stands".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

wtf is a 3d TV (I know it does 3d or whatever but I really don't see the point, will you be able to view sports game in 3d, even if you can I really could care less) and I highly doubt they will be that widespread in 3-4 years. People just bought LCD and plasmas recently. Most people won't buy another tv if they bought one recently for 4-5 years at the very least.  Personally, I am happy enough with my old school HDTV that is a fat CRT. Plasmas and LCDs break so easy or things go wrong in them usually within 3-4 years.  They are pieces of unreliable junk to me.  CRT TVs last way longer.  If you bought a plasma or LCD I hope you bought an extended warranty for it.