By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Just listened to 21st Century Breakdown, and...

I'm disappointed... To be honest, I've loved and listened to Green Day from the beginning, even to American Idiot and Stop Drop and Roll!, but this is where it stops. This poppy turd of an album is simply unacceptable... There is not a single song on this album that I can truly say that I like... It's all so... Generic... and, well, to be honest, crappy now... I can't take it... Sorry, but I have officially stopped listening to any Green Day songs made after 2008... The Green Day I knew and loved as a fan is dead. I'll repeat it again. Green Day is dead, and this album killed it.

R.I.P. Green Day.
1987 - 2009

I will miss you old friend...

Also, the song "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" is a freaking RIP off of The Hives!!!

Main Offender - The Hives

Horseshoes and Handgrenades

Any thoughts/comments?

Around the Network

Green Day has always been generic, they have always been poor lyrically and simple musically.

Are you kidding? What about Dookie and Insomniac? Even if you didn't like them, you an't even try to say what came out this week is anything close to their earlier work...

BTW, Wht the fu is up with th crsornot being able to kee up when I typein th threads? It's bullshite!e p uekca is nyme lehavingthis freking problem?a seoa

(BTW, What the fuck is up with the cursor not being able to keep up when I type in the threads? It's bullshit! Is anyone else having this freaking problem?)

Never mind, fixed that...

And they've never ripped someone else's work like that before... and it's so freaking blatant...

Hasn't anyone else here listened to it?

Around the Network

When most of your songs consist of a half-dozen power chords rearranged in limited permutations, you're gonna end up with some songs that sound similar sooner or later. Throw in some angst-infused overly-simplistic lyrics and you've got a forgettable album.

As far as that song goes, it's not identical to Main Offender, just really similar. And I'm a Hives fan, while I can't stand Green Day.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

I haven't listened to the new album no, but blaydcor is right, when your songs consist of a couple barre chords, poor arrangement, and lyrically sound like the ramblings of a 14 year old, then you're not a very good band.

^Eh, the slight change that came from American Idiot wasn't bad at all, it was just, kinda different... a little bit more hard rock and a little less punk, not better or worse for me...

But this is just utter garbage... This is fuckin power pop...

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Green Day was always power pop, they have never been a punk band. The Dead Kennedy's are a punk band. Green Day is for 13 year old girls.

^ Yep, you're right, they were always totally power-pop. T_T"

I know who the dead kennedy's were, and the sex pistols... Are you going to try and tell me The Ramones, The Offspring, and Blink-182 weren't punk?

Up until now, GD has been classified as Punk, Punk Rock, Alternative Punk, Pop-Punk, Punk Rock Opera, and Alternative Rock...

Any of the above labels fit to me, exept for Pop-Punk... That's like... Paramore...