By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Good PS2 RPGs

I'm going to EBgames and I would like to know what are some good PS2 RPGs?

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." - Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto

PSN joshmyersBV Global rank in Warhawk: 1734 Rank: Wing Leader Over 200 Mine kills
Around the Network

*cracks knuckles*

Well now, this is my area of expertise:

Final Fantasy X - This is actually my least recommended FF on the PS2. It was the first game I got for my PS2...after awhile the shiny gloss of FF will wear off. The game is extremely linear. I think someone on GameFAQs summed it up best as "an RPG on rails." The sphere grid seems like a good idea at first but eventually you'll be able to "unlock" the individual character's grids and everyone can learn everything, effectively killing the majority of your party's use and limiting to their individual strengths and overdrives (limits). The battle system is pretty decrepit too, the "CTB" was pulled from FFT but serves less purpose here...it's pretty much FF1 with shinier graphics and a pictue reel telling who's turn is when. If you're fond of turn based combat then you probably won't be bothered by this much, though.

Final Fantasy X-2 - A huge step up in many ways. The story isn't as prominent and it's actually a light-hearted character romp up until around chapter 3. It's pretty non-linear so you can move at your own pace and do a lot of the optional quests and missions. The gameplay is really where the game prevails, as it brings back the job class system and has the most refined version of ATB in an FF to date.

Final Fantasy XII - Lots of a fan hate, but is constructed completely differently from the two games mentioned above. The story is more..."mature" compared to some recent FF's. There's lots of politics mingled in with the fantasy elements, and the actual focus on the party is slightly more zoomed out if you can imagine, in that it's more about the character's struggle in the storyline rather than their personal lives and backstories. So you won't be finding any 2 hour cutscenes dedicated to angsty backgrounds in this FF, for once. The gameplay is the first major leap in the series since...forever. It's more streamlined and automated, you're encouraged to set up your party members toact on their own and react accordingly, eith you sort of micro-managing the actual battles.

Kingdom Hearts - Worth a try. This is far from the best ARPG to come out of SE, but it's not bad either. The storyline is a bit silly and almost childish in nature, with lots of focus on typical anime concepts like friendship, the power of the heart, etc. The battle system is a little sloppy in nature, with a wonky camera, strange battle mechanics, shaky targeting, limited AI, etc. None of these are game breaking and it's actually quite entertaining in contrast. There's really no reason not to try it unless you're one of those people that needs to reaffirm their masculinity because of the Disney characters.

Kingdom Hearts II - I don't think this game gets enough credit. It's quite a step up from the original, and I didn't realize how many problems KH1 had until I played KH2. For the most part, the storyline is handled much better. It's not quite as broken when regarding the Disney worlds. There's also a lot more attempts to pull at the heartstrings. The combat is much more refined, making it even more enjoyable. It's easier because Sora is a powerhouse, but the refined aerial combat, new abilities, and Reaction commands are just too fun not to accept.

Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time - Best RPG on the PS2, period. It had large shoes to fill but it did. It's pretty much everything I could ask for: original story, ingenious battle system, plenty of optional gameplay like item creation, multiple endings, post-game bonuses, battle trophies for completists, plenty of replayability, etc. I don't want to rant about its unrivaled greatness, though.

Mega Man X: Command Mission - Not really high on my list, but it's actually quite decent for a Mega Man RPG. My only gripes really revolved around its linearity, and that it didn't feel "Mega Man enough" in some areas.

Radiata Stories - Low-key RPG from tri-Ace. Runs off a modified SO3 engine. The game's focus is completely different, with a humor-based storyline, a huge and colorful world of characters, and somewhere around 180 recruitable party members. My gripes is that the gameplay seems to have suffered in contrast. It feels like a watered-down SO3, with less depth in its gameplay which sort of leads to button mashery battles, and that only about 15 of the total recruitable party members are in their own elite class, completely rendering everyone else useless.

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - A tri-Ace masterpiece to say the least, and a truly original RPG experience in an over-saturated market. The story is based off of Norse mythology, and there's plenty of fanservice and references to the original Valkyrie Profile. The gameplay is quite unique; the maps are 2D, so it plays sort a like a platformer until you engage an enemy, where you enter combat and can move your entire team (or even split them in two) to fight the monsters on the field. Character attacks are assigned to buttons and you have to time them correctly for the most hits and damage potential. The execution is simplistic but leads to an amazing amount of depth. It also gets pretty hard too.

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter - Quite the contrast from BoF games of old, but not bad...just different. The major overhaul here is that a strategy element was added to battles. When you engage the enemy, the characters can move a certain distance along the field before attacking enemies with attacks and combos assigned to different buttons. The atmosphere is very dark, and some turn off points might be the relatively short experience (less than 10 hours) and the unforgiving gameplay. You have limited saves and retries, and the meter attached to your dragon powers CAN NOT REACH 100% or it's instant game over and you'll be prompted to start over FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME. Now you see the length and replayability.

Tales of series - Legendia and Abyss are your options. Legendia sticks to 2D combat (with 3D characters) while Abyss takes Symphonia's system and improves it. If you're into importing, you can get Destiny 2, Rebirth, or the Symphonia port too.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

^
Suikoden
Wild Arms
Digital Devil Saga
Nocturne

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Xenosaga
Xenosaga II
Xenosaga III
Grandia III
Suikoden III
Dark Cloud 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Nocturne
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Rogue Galaxy
Star Ocean III Till the end of Time
Valkyrie Profile Silmeria
Digital Devil Saga
Digital Devil Saga 2
Devil Summoner
Wild Arms III
Wild Arms IV
Atelier Iris
Atelier Iris 2
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Odin Sphere
Grim Grimoire

er... and some more but I've lost it so far... *lol*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Try out MS Saga: A new Dawn.

Around the Network

Zelda...      Jk

*~Onna76~* said:
Xenosaga
Xenosaga II
Xenosaga III
Grandia III
Suikoden III
Dark Cloud 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Nocturne
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Rogue Galaxy
Digital Devil Saga
Digital Devil Saga 2
Devil Summoner
Wild Arms III
Wild Arms IV
Atelier Iris
Atelier Iris 2
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Odin Sphere
Grim Grimoire

marry me

*~Onna76~* said:
Xenosaga
Xenosaga II
Xenosaga III
Grandia III
Suikoden III
Dark Cloud 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Nocturne
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Rogue Galaxy
Digital Devil Saga
Digital Devil Saga 2
Devil Summoner
Wild Arms III
Wild Arms IV
Atelier Iris
Atelier Iris 2
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Odin Sphere
Grim Grimoire

The only others I can think of are: Persona 3 & Shin Megami Tensei III

Can anyone think of any decent WRPGs on the PS2?