By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone purchase cosmic family and can provide some feedback?

I'm trying to find entertainment for a handicapped boy of 6 years old.  He doesn't have hand control but a "hand over hand" grip of the Wiimote would allow him to participate if the movement isn't too complex and the movements don't require precision.  The only thing I can tell from the box is that the "games" look kind of detailed.  His visual acuity is good, but not great, so the images need to be a bit bigger than normal video games...

If you have any information (from playing it in person), please let me know.

Thx 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Awesome a question I know the answer too(and probably only me on this site!) I bought this game I have a 3yr. old son, and a 4yr. old daughter. There a bunch of gameplay elements where you have to use the pointer to click the A Button on an object and move it to another location. The smallest objects to click on so far during one of the minigames are blocks that are about 1" by 2" on screen(that would be on a 39" WS Tv.) Although moving about the spaceship there are smaller object you can click on in the background, most of which isn't required, they usually play a silly mini cartoon. My kids have been enjoying it. Many of the games though do have bigger areas to click on, and just about all except for a few(that I've seen) don't have a time limit, so he can take his time clicking on items. If he can do one of those things where you have to move the Wii-mote over letters to type in your name he can definitly play this game. my 4yr old daughter playing with both hands could mostly manage, although my 3yr old needs my help.

As far as his visual perception goes, they will require you to put a puzzles together. Sometimes he'll have to find something on the screen like a clock on the wall that is perhaps 3/4" by 3/4" that's the smallest thing I can recall. Parts of the screens are a bit busy, but it's pretty vivid, if he doesn't have trouble finding things on the screen during a Nickeldon cartoon per say he should have to much trouble with this.  

One draw back though is that he's older, I noticed the puzzle in easy mode was good for my kids, it had 4 giant pieces, then they had six smaller pieces, so perhaps for an older kids it could potentially have even smaller pieces for the puzzle part of the game anyway. Again if he could manage making Miis though, I think the game would be in his range. I think anyway, I hate to say what people should do. 

He can't do anything by himself -- it will require me to do hand over hand. The sizing issue is more of him being able to see than accuracy of hand movement though when doing hand-over-hand, accuracy is still harder...

Thanks for the input -- I appreciate it.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

No problem, I hope it all works out! On a side not I'm glad they made the game, it's tough to find games for kids that young, most games are really for like 8 and up. Do you have Warioware? There is like a million games in there alot just require motion, nothing precise at all, and have large simple images. there might be a dozen or so games he could play in there. You probably already checked it out, though, I just figured it was worth mentioning.

also I really enjoyed tony hawks and excite trucks - they both had very simple controls.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony