By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo 5: Prologue has sold 3.3 million

According to Polyphony Digital, this "extended demo" of the upcoming racing simulator has now sold more than 3.3 million copies. Seeing as this is a demo, although a quite large demo of the game, this is quite impressive.

The demo is availible on Blu-ray disc as well as via Playstation Network. However, there is no mention on Polyphony's page if the sales numbers include downloads from PSN or not. Potentially, the numbers could be even higher than 3.3 million.

The question still remains if Gran Turismo 5 (the full game) can become the best selling of the Gran Turismo series. According to the list Gren Turismo 3: A-Spec has sold 14.89 million copies on the Playstation 2.

Polyphony has promised amazing weather effects, tons of more cars and tracks, and hopefully they will have implemented damage when Gran Turismo 5 ships. In order to compete with Forza, they should also have a brilliant online part of the game, as well as tons of customization.

Vgchartz shows the game at 3.2m.Spot on

Around the Network

Why people still doubt the full game can sell 10 million is beyond me.

should go at least 5mil I think, they did loose a lot of the install base from previous gens but I'm sure they still have the die hard PS fans to support it, I just hope they are not spending too much money again, they need to at least make it back.

@ dahuman

GT3 launched with around 15 million PS2s, it sold 14+ million. GT5 should easily do 10 million

Even at a cheap $40, it couldn't even come close to selling like it used to.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

Do the sales look more impressive when people refer to Prologue as a demo? I just don't understand why Sony fans would use a derogatory term towards the game to imply it's stronger. I'm fairly sure if we had download numbers available, plenty of legitimate demos would have downloads in the millions. Let's get real here. It's a game. You pay $40 for it. If the lot of you feel like all you got out of a $40 purchase is a demo then I feel sorry for you.

Anyhoos, considering Polyphony is counting digital downloads in their sale figures, either Prologue only sold 100K over PSN or VGC overtracked the retail sales. In the end though, the numbers are spot on, so it's good in this case it was likely overtracked here.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Vetteman94 said:
@ dahuman

GT3 launched with around 15 million PS2s, it sold 14+ million. GT5 should easily do 10 million

one thing I've learned about the PS3 sales these days is that if I'm not optimistic, then I won't be disappointed.

I wonder why people are so eager for this prologue when they weren't for GT4:Prologue...

It could be that GT4 was the second GT game on the PS2, so there's probably not as much hype (given that we knew how big of a graphically leap to expect), but that doesn't totally account for GT5:Prologue already eclipsing it's sales.

Or am I missing something, like will the GT5:Prologue owners get some added benefit when the full version drops?

since they are adding dmg, Autobots!