By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What games has and will take up all 50 GB of a Blu-ray disk

NJ5 said:
slowmo said:
Jo21 said:
DaveD said:

Isn't there work on a 16 layered 400 gig one?

yes there is and it works on the ps3

There is no proof of it actually being able to work on the PS3, stick to the facts.

Isn't DVD dual-layer significantly slower than single-layer? If the same happens with Blu-Ray, a 16 layer disc must be really slow to read on the existing drives...

Its only slow to switch between layers, once the switch is done its as fast to read as single layer. So hypothetically, as long as the data was arranged so that layers switches were minimised (like back in the multi-cd game days) then it wouldn't be any slower than single or dual layer blu-ray to use.

Around the Network
czecherychestnut said:

Its only slow to switch between layers, once the switch is done its as fast to read as single layer. So hypothetically, as long as the data was arranged so that layers switches were minimised (like back in the multi-cd game days) then it wouldn't be any slower than single or dual layer blu-ray to use.

It's not just the layer switch time, I think read speed is lower as well. For example:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/double,839-9.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/double,839-10.html

(the first one is single-layer benchmarks, the second is double-layer, using the same hardware)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
czecherychestnut said:

It's not just the layer switch time, I think read speed is lower as well. For example:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/double,839-9.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/double,839-10.html

(the first one is single-layer benchmarks, the second is double-layer, using the same hardware)

Yeah you're right actually, though that review was done in 2004. I was thinking back when DVD drives maxed out at 16x, back then their dual layer speed was pretty much the same. Now with the current 22x drives the dual layer speed is still around 16x, so it is a little slower. I guess the extra interference from reading the second later poses tighter tolerances on jitter, hence the slower speed. Give it time though, maybe not 16 layer but 4 and 8 layer blu-ray will come out that'll read at useful speeds.

slowmo said:
Jo21 said:
DaveD said:
daroamer said:
rafichamp said:
First, MGS4 toke up only 30gb of the disk, mainly because of its VERY bad coding, the game was good but the codes were messed up, Second, a single layerd blu-ray takes up 50gb, a double layer takes up to 100gb, so 50gb is not the max for a blu-ray disk.

No, single layer for Blu-ray is 25 gigs, dual is 50GB.  That is currently the max size.

Isn't there work on a 16 layered 400 gig one?

yes there is and it works on the ps3

There is no proof of it actually being able to work on the PS3, stick to the facts.

OK, here are the facts

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32567/PS3-will-support-400GB-Blu-ray-discs

Werent they saying that Uncharted 2 will as well? And im sure GT3 will have a crack at it.

Around the Network

wtf...konami lied....those bastards...they said they didn't have enough space to put in the japanese voice over....wtf...that's more than enough space....i'm sure u dont need more than 10 gb for voice...probably less than 2gb even...so gay...

kowenicki said:
Resistance2 45 gigs?? !! wow... why?

I dont know,  I didnt think it was that high,  if true it might be becasue of the 3 different game modes, plus the levels were quite big.   They were also quite a few in-game movies, but they were only game engine stuff not full CGI.

Gilgamesh said:

As far as I know the only Blu-ray game that takes up all the 50 GB is Metal Gear Solid 4. So has there been another game that took up all 50 GB of a Blu-ray disk?

Also what game in the future do you think will take up all 50 GB. My guess is Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII will likely fill the disk.

Maybe God of War III and Gran Turismo 5 aswell.

God of war 3 no way,unless the SP is like 30 hours long and multiple endings and then thats pushing it.

GT5:Most likely

Uncharted 2: Nah maybe 20 gigs

FF13:Yes  no doubt

R3:Yes hopefully

rafichamp said:
First, MGS4 toke up only 30gb of the disk, mainly because of its VERY bad coding, the game was good but the codes were messed up, Second, a single layerd blu-ray takes up 50gb, a double layer takes up to 100gb, so 50gb is not the max for a blu-ray disk.

tdk has said it has managed to get a blura dsc to hold 400gb and recons it can get to 1 terabyte, dont no if the playstation 3 bluray player is able to read them thogh

? i thought mgs4 took up more than 50gb and had some of it comprised kojima made a bit of fuss about this saying even the 50gb disc wasnt enough maybe i heard wrong

I think GT5 and FF13 will def be the ones that use up the most space, infact, i wouldnt be suprised if it took 2 BR disk for any of those games.