By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamespot gives Klonoa a 7.5

Lower than the IGN one,here is the link:

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/kazenoklonoadoortophantomile/review.html?tag=topslot;thumb;3

Klonoa was originally released for the PlayStation more than a decade ago, but you would be hard-pressed to discern its age at a glance. Even compared to modern releases, the updated visuals look impressive and inviting, crafting a colorful world in which it can be as much fun to marvel at the delightful scenery as it can be to jump across pits. The simple gameplay hasn't received the same overhaul as the visuals, but the tight controls and clever level design give rise to a rewarding adventure that is a pleasure from beginning to end. If only the end didn't come so quickly. Klonoa is over before you realize it, abruptly cueing the ending credits long before you're ready to leave this world. It's short and offers little in the way of challenge, but Klonoa's classic gameplay and enticing visuals make it a satisfying and fun adventure.

Unfortunately, all that joy is over far too quickly. You should be able to play through all 15 levels in scarcely more than five hours. Although there are plenty of hidden goodies in each of the levels, it's possible to find the majority of them your first time through, which gives you little reason to tear through the same worlds all over again. When you complete the game, you unlock a mirror mode, but playing through the same levels from a flipped perspective is a novelty that sadly doesn't add any tangible reason to run through these lands once more. The levels are also exceedingly easy. Given that the enemies rarely try to actively kill you, you can pass each world without much hindrance. The time challenges that you unlock upon completing the quest add a motivating threat of failure, but they aren't nearly as interesting as the main quest.

Despite being too short and easy for its own good, Klonoa is still a well-made, exciting platformer. The level design is quite impressive, seamlessly integrating 2D action in a 3D world, and the various views and branching paths create a novel experience. Tossing your hapless foes into other enemies or background switches is a fun mechanic that opens the door for some clever puzzles in the later levels. The visuals bring everything together, breathing life into this world overrun by an unknown evil. Klonoa is over before you know it, but it's darn fun while it lasts.

Around the Network

klonoa looked nice but it was never very interesting. on the ps2 that is. I'm sure nothing has really changed

Despite being too short and easy for its own good, Klonoa is still a well-made, exciting platformer. The level design is quite impressive, seamlessly integrating 2D action in a 3D world, and the various views and branching paths create a novel experience. Tossing your hapless foes into other enemies or background switches is a fun mechanic that opens the door for some clever puzzles in the later levels. The visuals bring everything together, breathing life into this world overrun by an unknown evil. Klonoa is over before you know it, but it's darn fun while it lasts.

^ And they give it a damn 7.5. Seriously they don't even try to hide it anymore.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

What I've gathered from reviews is--the game is short, but some of the most fun you'll ever have despite its length. And that is sorta Klonoa games all around. But trust me; 4 hours or not, they have always been SPECTACULAR games.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Don't know about that, Blind.

They are fun, but I don't know about the most fun you'll ever have.

The most fun I've ever had was feeding pigeons sushi and then one pigeon had half a roll stuck to it's back (from the sticky rice) and all the other pigeons were chasing it.

plus, killzone 2 is pretty awesome.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Don't know about that, Blind.

I know your post was to be funny...but for the love of saxophone lesbians READ MY SIGNITURE

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

sorry snowblind, I should've read that earlier.

EDIT: name fix

theprof00 said:

sorry snowblind, I should've read that earlier.

EDIT: name fix

good platformers aren't that easy to come by any more, its nice that this oen turned out well, eventhough its a renake.

haha you're a good sport shadow.

OT: I have a similar problem with other wii games and ds titles. They are very very short. On the other hand, I remember the old Klonoa's being short too.

Also it looks like they got rid of the cel-shading style.