By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 holds all the aces up its sleeve.

nightsurge said:
Jboy0990 said:
Ok what u posted is talking about the job loss and the recession
has nothing to do with ps3. eery company is losing money and having to lay off people

Microsoft has a $112 million profit over the same time period.  That's not exactly "losing money".

Also, iSuppy released figures about 5 months ago that show the PS3 is selling at roughly $60 loss per console sold, and that doesn't account for shipping/warehouse, and retailers discount off of the $400 price, so at that time the PS3 was losing $100 per console sold.

According to a Sony insider, they were mostly accurate on everything except the BD drive.  They were about $40+ dollars off.  I believe the accurate figure is somewhere between $17 to $20 loss per sold PS3.  That's not much at all.  They should already have 45nm Cell processors in the newly produced PS3s.  45nm RSX should be soon (maybe sometime around Uncharted 2 release).

Around the Network
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
nightsurge said:
Jboy0990 said:
has nothing to do with ps3. eery company is losing money and having to lay off people

Microsoft has a $112 million profit over the same time period.  That's not exactly "losing money".

Also, iSuppy released figures about 5 months ago that show the PS3 is selling at roughly $60 loss per console sold, and that doesn't account for shipping/warehouse, and retailers discount off of the $400 price, so at that time the PS3 was losing $100 per console sold.

According to a Sony insider, they were mostly accurate on everything except the BD drive.  They were about $40+ dollars off.  I believe the accurate figure is somewhere between $17 to $20 loss per sold PS3.  That's not much at all.  They should already have 45nm Cell processors in the newly produced PS3s.  45nm RSX should be soon (maybe sometime around Uncharted 2 release).

Oh a "Sony insider".  Riiiiigggghhhtttt... Link?

Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
nightsurge said:
Jboy0990 said:

Delusional Fanboy^^ A loss is a loss. You know something called R&D?? The 45nm Cell chip doesnt come free. Plus you think MS is just sitting and watching. Their already making profit and with a 45nm GPU chip and 45nm CPU chip of its own a price cut wont effect MS at all

saimcheeda said:
Weird that a guy just gives his opinions and people start attacking him!!

What I think is funny is that this topic is probably flame bait and people are taking it. 

If not so, he presented it like a fact, and it's rather sad when he has to hide behind the "opinion" barrier.

Legend11 said:
PS3beats360 said:

PS3s main goal is to outsell the XBox 360 in worldwide total sales. This is an extremely important goal to Sony in regards to PS3. The PS3 has price cuts and huge list of games exclusive to PS3 which will prove to be much better than any exclusive games on XBox 360. PS3 will update its free online which will surpass the XBox Live "paid" online.

You might argue that Sony can not afford price cuts blah blah blah. But the truth is Sony is a huge company and these small losses on hardware is a small drop in the ocean and the extra game sales will more than make up for any insignificant PS3 hardware losses. Price of PS3 is approaching mass market penetration levels with next price cut and PS3 sales will take off as the economy does in fact improve in second half of 2009 and beyond. Expect PS3 price cuts to be announced some time at or after E3 09'.

Even the chance of going from third to first in the same generation may be on the cards as soon as PS3 approaches the Wii price. I expect huge transition from Microsoft or Nintendo to Sony and PS3. PS3 has a remote chance of finishing first in console wars. However I believe PS3 will finish a very close second behind the Wii when the generation is over. Bad luck for X360 ending up third after being ages in first place. Oh well such is life.

Discuss

Warren Buffett sees tough times ahead and you see the economy getting better in the second half of 2009.  Who am I supposed to believe, the World's second richest man known for his amazing business and investment insight or you?

Also how do you know the future lineups for the 360 and PS3 for years to come?  I mean some of the games you're commenting on are probably just in the planning stages yet you seem to know how they're going to turn out.  Who needs game reviewers when we have you to tell us their review scores years ahead of time.

So you think there's a chance of the PS3 outselling the Wii.  Interesting, it seems like Crazzyman has met his match and them some.  Forget all the games that were going to start PS3 domination back in the day, PS3 comination begins with price cuts now.

lolz as a 360 fanboy you must be really hoping that the economy continues to do badly

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
nightsurge said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
nightsurge said:
Dark Chaos said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

Sony's losses are only a drop in the bucket when considering MS's losses.  While Sony's losses are NOT small, it's there business model to keep pushing the industry forward with innovative and original games/gameplay.  It's been their pattern since the PS1.  Every new hot 1st/2nd party game will be the one that broke the camel's back for some people.  We shall see if original titles that push the envelope is what gamers want.  If these gamers only want the same old same old games, Sony's strategy may not work.

Personally, I think gamers don't just want the same old same old type games, so Sony's strategy will work.

ORLY??

Duh!  Everyone knows 2.9 Billion USD loss for Sony is NO WHERE NEAR AS BAD AS Microsofts $112 million USD profit!

Sure, just act like I didn't post the following:

You mean you aren't aware of it?  $5+ billion for Xbox.  AT LEAST $2 billion over the first 2 years of operation (NOT including the advertising expenses since they are tied into all of MS advertising costs).  $1+ billion for RRoD and E74.  Class action and regular lawsuits that have to pay out TWICE the GDP of Cambodia (total of over $9 billion).  Plus, there are NEW class action lawsuit popping up over the X360 as we post!

Lol, um.... links?  MS never paid upwards of 9 billion in class action lawsuits.  In fact, I don't think a single one regarding the 360 has ever been won, soo.....  Also, you claimed it as "Microsoft and Sony" not "Microsoft and Sony's Entertainment/Console division.

I was merely showing that even when the Xbox and 360 lost money originally, MS as a whole prospered while Sony as a whole is doing awful because of PS3 and the yen.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1048246/microsofts-lawsuit-payouts-amount-to-around--9-billion

They've paid out a LOT more since then and more are piling up.  They just can't stop being tyrants.

Here is a search on X360 class action lawsuits.

Here is a search on PS3 class action lawsuits. The funny thing is that it gives you MS/X360 class action lawsuits.

That's an article from 2005 about all lawsuits accross the board in the entire history of Microsoft as a company.  Funny though that even through all those lawsuits they are profitable while Sony is not.

They've not paid any lawsuits in regards to the 360.

Here is a search on PS3 and Sony losses.

Here is a search on Xbox 360 and MS losses.  The funny thing is that it gives you PS3/Sony losses as well.

Those X360 class action lawsuits are future money gone.  Why are you acting like close to $20 billion in losses is WAY less than Sony's few billion in losses?  It just doesn't make sense!

ocnkng said:
Legend11 said:
PS3beats360 said:

PS3s main goal is to outsell the XBox 360 in worldwide total sales. This is an extremely important goal to Sony in regards to PS3. The PS3 has price cuts and huge list of games exclusive to PS3 which will prove to be much better than any exclusive games on XBox 360. PS3 will update its free online which will surpass the XBox Live "paid" online.

You might argue that Sony can not afford price cuts blah blah blah. But the truth is Sony is a huge company and these small losses on hardware is a small drop in the ocean and the extra game sales will more than make up for any insignificant PS3 hardware losses. Price of PS3 is approaching mass market penetration levels with next price cut and PS3 sales will take off as the economy does in fact improve in second half of 2009 and beyond. Expect PS3 price cuts to be announced some time at or after E3 09'.

Even the chance of going from third to first in the same generation may be on the cards as soon as PS3 approaches the Wii price. I expect huge transition from Microsoft or Nintendo to Sony and PS3. PS3 has a remote chance of finishing first in console wars. However I believe PS3 will finish a very close second behind the Wii when the generation is over. Bad luck for X360 ending up third after being ages in first place. Oh well such is life.

Discuss

Warren Buffett sees tough times ahead and you see the economy getting better in the second half of 2009.  Who am I supposed to believe, the World's second richest man known for his amazing business and investment insight or you?

Also how do you know the future lineups for the 360 and PS3 for years to come?  I mean some of the games you're commenting on are probably just in the planning stages yet you seem to know how they're going to turn out.  Who needs game reviewers when we have you to tell us their review scores years ahead of time.

So you think there's a chance of the PS3 outselling the Wii.  Interesting, it seems like Crazzyman has met his match and them some.  Forget all the games that were going to start PS3 domination back in the day, PS3 comination begins with price cuts now.

lolz as a 360 fanboy you must be really hoping that the economy continues to do badly

Why because SONY couldnt create a system that could handle a little rough economic times?

nightsurge said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
nightsurge said:
Jboy0990 said:

Oh a "Sony insider".  Riiiiigggghhhtttt... Link?

Your link...served up as you like it.  He has done accounting work for the organization as other Sony insiders has mentioned during the HD format war.

Dark Chaos said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
nightsurge said:
Jboy0990 said:

Delusional Fanboy^^ A loss is a loss. You know something called R&D?? The 45nm Cell chip doesnt come free. Plus you think MS is just sitting and watching. Their already making profit and with a 45nm GPU chip and 45nm CPU chip of its own a price cut wont effect MS at all

Yes, a loss is a loss, but a $60 loss is a LOT more than a $17 loss.  You are the perfect example of a fanboy.  MS hasn't even found a foundry for their 45nm process yet.

Dark Chaos said:
ocnkng said:
Legend11 said:
PS3beats360 said:

Discuss

Why because SONY couldnt create a system that could handle a little rough economic times?

Huh?  This might the fanboy statement of the day!