By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 already maxed out? Lair devloper thinks so!

HappySqurriel said:

This is Factor 5 ... Their Gamecube launch game was one of the most technically impressive games of the last generation. I'm not saying that he is right, but the one thing they did do well with Lair was push the PS3 hardware and I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of PS3 developers could not ever do any better.

Thats probably about accurate.  I don't think they'll be the pinnacle, but they probably are close, and i think most develpors have neither the funds, resources or talent to make most PS3 games look better. Still, Lair looks pretty good, so it wouldnt be a bad standard.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Lol, probably not. Are they second party? They could be half-right, the PS3 just doesn't have the power to have all the "potential" Sony are claiming, but to say you cant get anything more out of it is pretty ridiculous.

in your dreams bud.

Ps3 has all that and more, all it will take is one hell of a code.

The quote was:

"Lair takes advantage of all of the aspects of the PS3: 1080p graphics, 7.1 uncompressed surround sound, an epic musical score, motion control on the SIXAXIS [controller] and enough content to fill 25 gigs, all in the service of telling this fantastic story. This is a game and experience that literally could not have been done on any other system, past or present, and that is just amazing. "

That's not like saying they pushed the PS3 to the max, just that they made use of some key benefits the PS3 provides.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
The quote was:

"Lair takes advantage of all of the aspects of the PS3: 1080p graphics, 7.1 uncompressed surround sound, an epic musical score, motion control on the SIXAXIS [controller] and enough content to fill 25 gigs, all in the service of telling this fantastic story. This is a game and experience that literally could not have been done on any other system, past or present, and that is just amazing. "

That's not like saying they pushed the PS3 to the max, just that they made use of some key benefits the PS3 provides.

The author of the article (notably a member of a PS3 fan site!) claims that the developer also indicated they had pushed the PS3 to its limits. Feel free to disagree with the developer, dont try to deny what they said.

"better than Gears"

which one ???

Time to Work !

Around the Network

Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Fable 2, Call of Duty 4, Too Human. Halo 3, Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata all have different art styles but display the same graphical finesse.

Hus said:
starcraft said:
Lol, probably not. Are they second party? They could be half-right, the PS3 just doesn't have the power to have all the "potential" Sony are claiming, but to say you cant get anything more out of it is pretty ridiculous.

in your dreams bud.

Ps3 has all that and more, all it will take is one hell of a code.

We all agree that there is plenty of power left in the PS3, how soon it can be tapped is another question, didn´t these guys also say they were fighting with the unfinished hardware ??? Now suddenly they maxed it out ??? Well I must say I am curious who much useable power the PS3 really has, is it 15% more than the 360 or 20% ??? Not that it would matter much in games but it would just be interesting to know.

@ starcraft

A direct quote would be helpful, at least if the comment is based on the provided quote IMO it's wrongly interpreted. Until I see a direct quote, I'll keep an open mind.

IMO it's going to take years until PS3 developers come close to the PS3's potential. Sure they may be technically the most impressive games available at the time, but still you'll probably see even more demanding games over 5 years away from now.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

"""""""The quote was:

That's not like saying they pushed the PS3 to the max, just that they made use of some key benefits the PS3 provides.""""""""

==> Thx MikeB
I have read this news before and I was sure they never stated "they pushed the PS3 to the max" or something like this.
Crappy incomplete news as usual ...

Time to Work !

It's not so much a matter of whether the PS3 is maxed out or not, but really a matter of how is it going to be possible to utilize any more of the PS3's potential without making the games even more expensive to develop or development periods even longer.