By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGchartz's Demon's Souls thread

lestatdark said:
gekkokamen said:

^Firestorm (and most magic spells) ruins the game... I was knight with 18 magic power in NG+++++ completely neglected stat, I just upgraded to level 18 to be able to use the Talisman of the beasts, I'm talking about 18 mag in a lv 265 character. He was able to down any demon boss with ease using firestorm, one shot most of them. Last time I finished the game with that character I did it in under 4 hours, and only died once. Firestorm was very helpful for the speed run. Still, magic is overpowered and can ruin the game, specially firestorm.

Ah yeah, I was using the talisman of the beast to cast the magic, and (most of the time) a Kris Knife +5 on the other hand. Yeah, the kris knife helps a lot, but still magic 18, c'mon!

Magic is only overpowered in PvE, because when you go PvP, spells are easily annuled with Anti-Magic Field. A Magic Only user will have a hard time on PvP, especially if he isn't focused on building Magic Weapons.

But as far as PvE goes, everything is fair in the battle for survival in the game ;) You could say the same thing about the Brushwood Set, the Tower Shield +5 and the Meat Cleaver or Dragon Bone Smasher +5, they can easily break the balance of the game on the hand of good players, especially if you couple it with the Warding Spell, you'll be virtually invicible 

yeah but getting a decent magic power level and buying firestorm is a LOT easier than making a character able to equip a full brushwood set and big sword and big shield plus the upgrades, and I doubt that character can kill one Demon Boss in one strike! Sure using rings, and other items plus the major league equipment ought to do it, but magic is just ridiculously easy and you don't even have to build your character for it to do massive damage with it.

question: do you carry another weapon besides the DBS? sure the weapon is powerful, but it's also too slow and cumbersome for tight places/quick enemies....and I suppouse you are wearing very light armor and the str ring to carry both shield and DBS...is it really worth it to be light in armor (and physical defense) just to be able to carry that 30lb sword? I mean, North Regalia hits over 500 and it's only 6.5 (and quicker and easy on stamina), and there's always the MC which is buffable and only weighs 10lb., just saying....

Around the Network

@gekkokamen

Well, but magic builds only start getting powerful once you actually get the spells for it, so they are very weak and vulnerable at the start of the game, not like the melee classes which can do pretty good right from the start ;)

Actually I carry three swords with me, DBS +5 (which is actually 20 lbs), Large Sword of Moonlight +5 and Meat Cleaver. I'm not using Northern Regalia because my Character Tendency is Neutral at this moment, so it's a plain sword with 270 attack power now, once I get PW CT again, i'll start using it.

The main advantage that the DBS has it that it sends every lesser enemy flying, and the R2 2H Smash attack stuns even the Giant Goblins in world 5, so albeit it's very slow and you'll have to make huge adaptations to the timing of the weapon, once you get it right, it becomes a sheer devastation weapon.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

^I will definitely try the DBS then :)

But right now I'm really itching for a Hunter. I have this image of some kind of ranger wielding a battle axe and a deadly bow. I want to make him a long-range attacker mainly, but he'll definitely need a good close combat weapon...maybe some daggers, but I already have a thief who plays the rogue type of game with daggers and rapiers and estocs, so I'll be looking for something different for my Hunter, any ideas?

You could play a Spear/Halberd Hunter. You'll have enough range to keep enemies at bay and even should they come near, your weapon can still keep them at bay.

Personally, I would go for a Sharp War Scythe. The War Scythe is an amazing weapon with long range, has tearing effect (should you ever go PvP with it) and if you're going to be a Hunter, you'll gain maximum boosts using the Sharp type.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Killed the Tower Knight but this time I had some help from a fellow warrior.

I didn't know co-op was so fun plus it makes everything alot easier.

Around the Network

I'm trying to get White world tendency so that I can get all those goodies on the dragon roost in 1-1.

sabby_e17 said:

I haven't co-op'ed in a long time now, last time I helped out as a Blue Phantom was in my earlier playthrough doing Flamelurker helps with the Friend's Ring. 

But yeah, if you get a good partner, co-op can make a lot of things easier, but it can go the other way if you get a crappy companion or crappy Physical player >_< 

Current PC Build

^if you didn't die while in body form, you will achieve Pure white in Boletaria once you defeat the next Demon Boss...hopefully you won't die in your body form in the next section while being helped by blue phantom players, if I were you I'd kill myself in the nexus.

lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

I haven't co-op'ed in a long time now, last time I helped out as a Blue Phantom was in my earlier playthrough doing Flamelurker helps with the Friend's Ring. 

But yeah, if you get a good partner, co-op can make a lot of things easier, but it can go the other way if you get a crappy companion or crappy Physical player >_< 

The partner I got though was a very good one. We actually worked together most of the time and against Tower Knight, I would go in to melee him then he would join me too. 

One time, the Tower Knight slammed both of us with his shield which was quite unlucky and our life went to about 1/3. So we both went behind cover and took some of that grass a.k.a smoked some weed xD It looked like we were true companions XD

I rated him a S :D

@gekkoman: Kill myself in the nexus? What effect does that have?

So far I've been taking easy and not been playing too much and alot of the time I've put in, I've been doing some grinding. Got some pretty important exams coming up.

sabby_e17 said:
lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

The partner I got though was a very good one. We actually worked together most of the time and against Tower Knight, I would go in to melee him then he would join me too. 

One time, the Tower Knight slammed both of us with his shield which was quite unlucky and our life went to about 1/3. So we both went behind cover and took some of that grass a.k.a smoked some weed xD It looked like we were true companions XD

I rated him a S :D

@gekkoman: Kill myself in the nexus? What effect does that have?

So far I've been taking easy and not been playing too much and alot of the time I've put in, I've been doing some grinding. Got some pretty important exams coming up.

That's nice :) In 180 online sessions I have 78.5% S, 20% A and 1.5%B xD

Suiciding in nexus has no effect whatsoever, since there is no World Tendency in Nexus, that's a safe way to keep yourself in Soul Form and not affect the WT of the actual worlds 

Current PC Build