By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix up to something!

For those who like a little content with their threads, this is about Square releasing flash-based casual games for free with in-game advertisements.

Square Enix has partnered with Japanese portal site Nifty to launch a series of simple, casual games supported by inter-level advertising.

The games, which can be played for free at Nifty’s game portal site ‘@nifty Games’, use a technique co-developed by the two companies called ‘In-Stage Advertising’, in which Flash adverts are streamed in-between levels.

Around the Network

Interesting. 

Is it genuinely new or are they ****ing out their IP for more cash?

Please let it be the former...

It could be a good way to pay for R&D on large games...

Make a small casual game, that is paid for through advertising, and if the concepts stick, take to the next level in one of their large titles. I think it is a pretty brilliant idea actually.

Here is a questions along these lines.
Would you be willing to accept in game advertisine if it ment that the game was sold at half the normal price? (Assuming that the advetising didn't interfear with the story)

JHawkNH said:
Would you be willing to accept in game advertisine if it ment that the game was sold at half the normal price? (Assuming that the advetising didn't interfear with the story)

If you could pay an extra $2-5 to get your games without all the start up screens, splash screens, brand advertisements, company advertisements...etc, would you?

There is already advertising in games.  If you don't see it then industry has done its work very well.

Around the Network

Words Of Wisdom, YES....
i hate looking at ads from every little company that has hade anything to do with the game, befor i can play it, thankfull most games let you skip it...

JHawkNH said:

If the advertising does not interfere with the game I am fine...  But startup advertising, and intrusive advertising in the game are non starters for me...I would rather pay to play, then be brain-washed to play.