By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My XBox 360 vs PS3 comparison (mostly technical)

No not random, AFAIK these are the first Bluetooth ones supported. I have been eagerly awaiting such devices for the PS3. So excuse my enthusiasm.

I didn't know that they weren't previously available. I guess that does make them worth a mention, but you could also have mentioned "first bluetooth PS3 headset/keyboard".

As for the rest ... I stand by my statements.  Whether it is normal PR or not, it's still silly and stupid, and quoting Jack Tretton saying "Playstation is great!" serves no useful purpose I am aware of.   

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

@ Final-Fan

I didn't know that they weren't previously available. I guess that does make them worth a mention, but you could also have mentioned "first bluetooth PS3 headset/keyboard".

OK, I will try better next time.

As for headsets, you can use a mobile phone headset as well. So you have a point, just thought the headset looked nice but maybe I should have only pointed to the Bluetooth media keyboard with integrated mouse.

As for the rest ... I stand by my statements. Whether it is normal PR or not, it's still silly and stupid, and quoting Jack Tretton saying "Playstation is great!" serves no useful purpose I am aware of.

The point was rather, that I expect Sony to support the PS3 well beyond the XBox 360 and Nintendo Wii lifecycles. Maybe next time I will highlight the text I am referring too, like was the case with previous Playstation generations. I also think eventually percentage wise they will be able to cost reduce the PS3 further than they did with the PSX and PS2.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

Appendix: Xbox 360 Premium  (20 GB HD, HDMI 1.2) + HD DVD drive + Wi-Fi  + 1 year Xbox Live subscription vs PS3 60 GB
Of course as you can read above by having these expansions doesn’t nearly put the Xbox 360 on par with the PS3 technically, for example the HD DVD drive cannot even be used for games which makes sense as for one the drive is half the speed as compared to the PS3’s drive. Let alone how inelegant it is to need additional wires and power supply for the external HD DVD drive.  But still interesting such a setup still costs $349,99 + $179,99 + $94,99 + $49.99 = $674,96 !!

=> So, much more than a more elegant all-in-one $500 PS3 60GB!

A second opinion regarding XBox 360 vs PS3 costs and specs:

"Pocket-lint is reporting that they have had Microsoft confirm to them that the Xbox 360 will not get Wi-Fi due to keeping the price down.

It makes me wonder really how much Wi-Fi would bump up the price, as it really is a needed option with the fact that the Xbox 360 system is based about Xbox Live.

I paid just around £60 ($120) for the extra device that gives the 360 Wi-Fi; surely they can make an integrated Wi-Fi cheaper than this, in fact much cheaper.

The Sony PS3 only costs a little more when you think about that much money for Wi-Fi, let alone the extra HD Drive if you wanted it.

The fact is I do not know anyone that does not have Xbox Live for their 360 and cables are a nightmare compared to going wireless.

I do understand that some people who are not interested in having wireless technology should not pay for what they do not want, but then they should of made the core system have no Wi-Fi and the deluxe have wireless."

http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/09/25/microsoft-confirmed-no-built-in-wi-fi-for-xbox-360-its-down-to-cost/

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

The PS3 Blu-Ray reading speed for games is roughly comparable to the Xbox 360 drive, the main difference is that DVDs can be read far quicker at the outer edges of the disc than the inner layers (3.3x to 8x or 4.125 to 10.8 MB/s Dual Layer). A Blu-Ray drive offers sustained reading speeds (9 MB/s) throughout the disc, which can potentially aid developers with streaming, as this approach is more predictable. Due to a higher density on Blu-Ray discs seek times may be a little longer though, similar as was the case with moving from CD to DVD. Overall the differences result to that on average a single layer Xbox 360 DVD (12x max speed) can be read quicker than a Blu-Ray disc (but that’s small enough to be easily installed on the PS3 harddrive, which is much faster), but reading dual layer DVDs on average would be slower. Most later high quality PS2 games seem to be dual layer and considering the more data required to take advantage of the higher Xbox 360 specification I think we can assume all future Epic high profile games will come supplied on at least 1 dual layer DVD (some on multiple discs, like is already the case for Blue Dragon).

This brings me onto Blu-Ray’s main advantage regarding gaming. You can store a lot more data on a Blu-Ray disc than on a DVD, over 5 times as much. Taking into account complex future games sporting 1080p visuals as well as high quality 7.1 audio, it’s not hard to imagine the PS3 will require much more storage than was the case with regard to the PS2, note that many PS2 games like God of War 2 are taking up a whole DVD.

This is like an addition to the original post, explaining the benefit of the additional space available on Blu-Ray disc to greater depth, taken from one of my posts from another thread:

First of game designers have multiple reasons to keep the amount of discs to a minimum, one is additional cost but not only with regard to the media itself, game design gets more complicated when your game spans multiple discs.

People often cite Blue Dragon as the first XBox 360 game to span multiple discs (3 of them). But please note Blue Dragon is a very Linear RPG/adventure, basically the simplest kind of game to span on multiple discs as developers may decide not to re-use game assets from earlier parts of the game, like textures and sounds (enemies, surroundings such as vegetation, etc), for other types of games like platformers, racing games, 3D shooters, etc this is usually a far more desirable approach. But even in a very Linear game you may require a user to come back to previously visited locations to finish a task (like in for example God of War or many traditional adventure games). If this would mean yet another disc swap, I think many developers will just make gaming sacrifices to work around the need for this disc swapping or maybe multiply data on the other discs (and thus the space available on 6 dual layer DVDs no longer equals the amount of data which is possible to store on a single Blu-Ray disc).

PS3 vs 360 sales

Not trying to get into a argument with anyone but isn't it pointless arguing about a systems technical capability but not discussing the games that are on them.

The fact is people on this site are console owners and are loyal to one or more of the big three manufacturers systems. If tomorrow some unknown company announces a system that is more powerful than PS3, 360 and Wii I doubt any of us are gonna start singing it's praises and become converts.

All I'm saying is be happy with what you got. I don't own all three consoles but I as sure as hell would like to!! In my perfect world everyone would!

Around the Network
OLDSCHOOL said:
Not trying to get into a argument with anyone but isn't it pointless arguing about a systems technical capability but not discussing the games that are on them.

The fact is people on this site are console owners and are loyal to one or more of the big three manufacturers systems. If tomorrow some unknown company announces a system that is more powerful than PS3, 360 and Wii I doubt any of us are gonna start singing it's praises and become converts.

All I'm saying is be happy with what you got. I don't own all three consoles but I as sure as hell would like to!! In my perfect world everyone would!

Obviously the games are ultimately the only truly important thing (unless the technical differences are tangible in other ways, as is the case for the PSP).  However, the technology is important in determining the kind and quality of games that each system can produce.  And we have spent some time on what can be done in games on both systems, and which system can do what better.  

Most importantly, though, this whole thread is not devoted to determining which game system is "better" in terms of games or sales, but rather it is devoted to comparing the respective TECHNOLOGY in each of the PS3 and Xbox 360.  So it would be off-topic for this thread to speak of fanboy loyalty, exclusives, other consoles, etc. 

And hey -- it's good to see a new face!  (AKA "Welcome to VGChartz") 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I dont think this thread was created to compare games but to specifically compare the 2 consoles :Xbox360 vs PS3.
that is all.

(and I must say: it is quite complicated !)

Time to Work !

This thread was mostly aimed to dispell and address some PS3 FUD and rumours floating around on forums and even mistakes in some technical articles, which again fuel some people's anti-PS3 sentiments.

On a technical level the PS3 is a solid and impressive product, which line-up of games you like personally or if you prefer Nintendo or Microsoft that's another matter and is greatly dependent on one's own bias and preferences.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Again a cross post from another thread, as this again regards PS3 technicals I think this is very suited for this thread. This time with regard to claims of the SPEs being useless with regard to pixel shading:

Some initial research indicating the contrary:

"This paper studies a deferred pixel shading algorithm implemented on a Cell-based computer entertainment system. The pixel shader runs on the Synergistic Processing Units (SPUs) of the Cell and works concurrently with the GPU to render images. The system's unified memory architecture allows the Cell and GPU to exchange data through shared textures. The SPUs use the Cell DMA list capability to gather irregular fine-grained fragments of texture data generated by the GPU. They return resultant shadow textures the same way. The shading computation ran at up to 85 Hz at HDTV 720p resolution on 5 SPUs and generated 30.72 gigaops of performance. This is comparable to the performance of the algorithm running on a state of the art high end GPU. These results indicate that a hybrid solution in which the Cell and GPU work together can produce higher performance than either device working alone."

"We have explored moving pixel shaders from the GPU to
the Cell/B.E. processor of the PLAYSTATION®3
computer entertainment system. Our initial results are
encouraging as they show it is feasible to attain scalable
speedup and high performance even for shaders with
irregular fine-grained data access patterns. Removing the
computation from the GPU effectively increases the frame
rate, or more likely, the geometric complexity of the models
that can be rendered in real time.

We can also conclude that the performance of the Cell/B.E.
is superior to a current state of the art high end GPU in that
we achieved comparable performance despite performance
limitations and despite using only part of the available
processing power. Our current implementation loses
substantial performance due to DMA waiting. This results
from the fine-grained irregular access to memory and is
specific to the type of shaders we have chosen to
implement. We have explored shaders based on shadow
mapping [15] which require evaluating GPU fragments
generated from multiple viewpoints. These multiple
viewpoints are related to each other by a linear viewing
transformation. Gathering the data from these multiple
viewpoints requires fine-grained irregular memory access.

This represents worst-case behavior for any memory
system. "

http://research.scea.com/ps3_deferred_shading.pdf

The Cell's SPEs are very flexible with regard to which kinds of code they can help facilitate, the SPEs act as true processors allowing multi-threading and such like I pointed out earlier and are very suited to take workload off the GPU as well as the PPE. This though does mean legacy game engines need to be modified and game development approaches require different programming tactics.

So unless you read articles from Cell programming or hardware design experts IMO take any comments you may read with a grain of salt, seemingly especially if they originate from XBox 360 fans.

PS3 vs 360 sales

I think this article sheds some light on how the SPEs are currently used in Killzone 2, and addresses the advanced deferred rendering techniques Guerrilla Games already implemented for the game so far.

Deferred Rendering in Killzone 2

PS3 vs 360 sales