By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Comparing newer to older games. "Better" or "worse" isn't always accurate.

Something that bothers me when people compare newer games to older games is when they talk "better" or "worse", but what they are really talking about is the impact of the older game at the time of its release.  I'll give you an example, albeit an example based on my opinion.

Every time a new James Bond game comes out it is inevitably compared to Goldeneye.  Goldeneye was amazing at the time and had a huge impact on console FPS.  It's still pretty fun today, but it is VERY dated.  Along came the most recent James Bond game (Quantum of Solace) and everybody immediately said that Goldeneye was better.  What (I think) they meant was that the impact and freshness of Goldeneye at the time of its release was better than the impact and freshness of QoS.  It's easy to see that Quantum of Solace has the advantage of over a decade of graphical and sound advances as well as gameplay additions such as online multiplayer and a cover system.  QoS is a better game...now, by today's standards.  Goldeneye was a much more influential game than the far from unique QoS could ever hope to be.  I loved Goldeneye and still love it, but to say that it is "better" than QoS isn't exactly accurate IMO when you really think about it.

I've always found it difficult to fairly compare games from different console generations.  You can really only judge them by the standards of their time.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network

i agree with you. the thing is you dont realise that when you play a old game that you played when it first come out it reminds you of the old days so you intend to enjoy it more

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

It depends.

Some older games play so well that you don't mind the less than modern graphics.

But if game play is marginal, then you notice how poorly it looks.

That's what I notice when I pull out my Saturn. The great games are still fun. The middle-of-the-road ones are more mediocre.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I agree with you...people tend to compare new games to their older counter r parts they enjoyed a while back BUT some of them might be surprised if they were to play those older games again at this point they would find them alot more unpleasant to play and might bore them...to some extent that is....

Its like when you were a kid and you saw scary movies like Jason or Nightmare on Elm Street and you got spooked...but now you watch them and our like wtf? this movie sucks lol

Here, Here!

You are absolutely correct.

Stellar, my good man, truely stellar!

(And stop trying to kill your mother.)

Around the Network
JoHnNyFr3sC0 said:
I agree with you...people tend to compare new games to their older counter r parts they enjoyed a while back BUT some of them might be surprised if they were to play those older games again at this point they would find them alot more unpleasant to play and might bore them...to some extent that is....

Its like when you were a kid and you saw scary movies like Jason or Nightmare on Elm Street and you got spooked...but now you watch them and our like wtf? this movie sucks lol

i think the 2 horrors you mentioned are way better then the crap we get today. heck i even watched some freddie last week

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

@Serious_frusting

That is true lmao...but did you see the remake od Friday the 13th? Pure Disaster lmao IMO