By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I buy a Xbox 360 or a PS3 ?

Sardauk said:
Rpruett said:
Sardauk said:
Rpruett said:
Sardauk said:
Bokal said:

Great post!

That is so PS3 biased... lol

Not really.  I prefer the PS3 to the 360.   But game enjoyment is purely a matter of personal opinion.  Price clearly favors the 360 in terms of entry point.  Reliability clearly favors the PS3 and Value I guess 'could maybe be' a tad biased.  But the PS3 does give you a Blu-Ray player, WiFi, Free Online for $400.   Add those costs onto the cheapest 360 model and include XBL fees.

Ok but, if we are talking about a gaming machine, I don't care about blu-ray, wifi (useless for gaming) etc...

A pure gamer would rather spend money into gaming rather than electronics...

Neither console is marketed as purely gaming machine though now is it? Both are categorized as multi-media machines.

IMO, this "value argument" is a Sony marketing spin : Real value is about getting more for less money, not getting more for more because... you just paid for it, that is no added-value... people on this forum don't understand that apparently...

No the the 'value argument' is not Sony marketing spin.  Value is getting something for less than it's worth.  Getting a bargain.  There is a reason people by the PS3 and make clusters with them.  The hardware in them is a total value.   Add up what the features would cost to put onto your 360.  ($100 for Wifi, $150 or more for Blu-Ray attachment, $50 a year for Live). 

360 has more value : It is the most succesful HD console on the market and it is available with crazy bundles..that is value to me: You wanna play ? You get the console and 2 AAA titles for 290 € or a HALO Pack for 260 €.

I have no problem with people willing to pay more for blu-ray... but this is not gaming related..(and don't come on me with the advantage of BR on gaming...this is just storage..).

You actually get gaming advantages with more storage.  Less compression is always a good thing for a gamer.   The 360 wins on price, but not value IMO.

No the the 'value argument' is not Sony marketing spin.  Value is getting something for less than it's worth.  Getting a bargain.  There is a reason people by the PS3 and make clusters with them.  The hardware in them is a total value.   Add up what the features would cost to put onto your 360.  ($100 for Wifi, $150 or more for Blu-Ray attachment, $50 a year for Live). 

Why the f*ck would we (360 users) want to do that ???!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get the 360 to add some features on it, like BR, sport spoilers, rocket turbine and heated cup-holder..damn...

That is why I'm saying it is a PS3-biased comparaison.

Same here!

Why yap on about adding all that crap onto the 360's price (blu ray, wi-fi etc) when we didn't buy a 360 for ANY of that! if I wanted a decent blu ray player I certainly wouldn't have got a PS3, I don't use blu ray at all anymore and yes, I do have a 52" HD 1080P TV but I prefer using Sky HD and my 360 for all my HD needs,

And WHY O WHY would I want to use Wi-Fi on my gaming systems lmao, I use ethernet on my 360/PS3 and PC as WI-FI is a complete joke for online gaming, intermittent connection problems, more lag, slower packet management and too much interference from everyday items make it too unreliable for serious gaming (many gaming sites did features on this ages ago and said ethernet is still the best way to get the best and most reliable speed for gaming), we only use Wi-Fi for the Laptop, Wii and Nokia N96 in our house and that's only because we have too lol,

Sony fanboys just don't get it, the PS3 is not value for money at all, paying a fortune for something which offers hardly anything more than a product which is much cheaper which does some things a lot better is NOT value for money no matter how you try and spin it,

I got my PS3 as a free gift and i'm still not happy with it so feel very sorry for people that actually paid real cash for one, the 360 is what gaming this generation is all about, top games, top multiplayer, superb controls, fantastic social features, the list goes on and console sale figures show this, 360 has been outselling the PS3 every week (bar one week just before KZ2 went on sale) for almost 7 months solid and is showing no signs of slowing down, software sells massively on 360 compared to PS3, there are many reasons for gamers and developers/publishers to stick with the 360 this generation which is now becoming very clear is indeed the case.

I have 99 people on my xbox live friends list (yup, it's full) so always have people to play and chat to, my PS3 I have 3 people on it as no-one I know likes/owns them, it's either 360 or Wii where I live,

Ok people, Flame away lol.....

Around the Network
sly777 said:

I already own a nintendo wii. The console is pretty great but I would like to play games like sport games (hockey, football and basket...), RPG, Shooters...

I plan to buy a new console but I don't know which one to choose ( of course). The two console seems pretty cools but I would choose a console that offers a lot of games. I don't care about movies, photos, music...

Should I buy a Xbox 360 or a ps3 ? Please, don't be fanatic... I don't want to start a war, I just want to find somes answers

Thanks !

From your original post...

Sportwise it's pretty equal on both systems.  But if you are also into baseball, MLB the Show ia a quality PS3 exclusive SONY franchise.

RPG the overall edge of quantity currently goes to the 360 with Star Ocean IV, Lost Odyssey, and Infinite Undiscovery along with a graphically superior version of Fallout and VERY buggy DLC.  The PS3 also has its RPG exclusives such as Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea.  But most of its multi-platform RPG offerings such as Enchanted Arms and Eternal Sonata are superior to the PS3.  It's a give and take with the Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion with the PS3 having shorter load times and better graphics which the 360 version has DLC to be bought.  Also, Tales of Vesperia will be coming to the PS3 enhanced over the 360 version.  The future seems to hold better for the PS3 because of upcoming titles such has an upcoming Shin Megami Tensei title, Aterier Ronona, and Cross Edge while Demon's Souls and White Knight Chronicles have already been released in Japan.

Shooter, hard to say.  The 360 controller does seem to be better suited for shooters in general, but the Dual Shock is still good.  Exclusives on the 360 are Gears 1 & 2, Halo 3, and Left 4 Dead.  On the PS3 you have Resistance 1 & 2, Killzone 2, Ratchet & Clank Future, and with SOCOM and Warhawk being online only.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
sly777 said:

I already own a nintendo wii. The console is pretty great but I would like to play games like sport games (hockey, football and basket...), RPG, Shooters...

I plan to buy a new console but I don't know which one to choose ( of course). The two console seems pretty cools but I would choose a console that offers a lot of games. I don't care about movies, photos, music...

Should I buy a Xbox 360 or a ps3 ? Please, don't be fanatic... I don't want to start a war, I just want to find somes answers

Thanks !

Sportwise it's pretty equal on both systems.  But if you are also into baseball, MLB the Show ia a quality PS3 exclusive SONY franchise.

RPG the overall edge of quantity currently goes to the 360 with Star Ocean IV, Lost Odyssey, and Infinite Undiscovery along with a graphically superior version of Fallout and VERY buggy DLC.  The PS3 also has its RPG exclusives such as Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea.  But most of its multi-platform RPG offerings such as Enchanted Arms and Eternal Sonata are superior to the PS3.  It's a give and take with the Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion with the PS3 having shorter load times and better graphics which the 360 version has DLC to be bought.  Also, Tales of Vesperia will be coming to the PS3 enhanced over the 360 version.  The future seems to hold better for the PS3 because of upcoming titles such has an upcoming Shin Megami Tensei title, Aterier Ronona, and Cross Edge while Demon's Souls and White Knight Chronicles have already been released in Japan.

Shooter, hard to say.  The 360 controller does seem to be better suited for shooters in general, but the Dual Shock is still good.  Exclusives on the 360 are Gears 1 & 2, Halo 3, Crackdown, shadowrun and Left 4 Dead.  On the PS3 you have Resistance 1 & 2, Killzone 2, Ratchet & Clank Future, and with SOCOM and Warhawk being online only.

I just want to parallel the shooter list, for fun:

Gears 1 & 2 = Resistance 1 & 2

Halo 3 = KZ2

R&C: F = Crackdown

SOCOM (critically) = shadowrun

Left 4 Dead (critically kinda)= Warhawk

Lol, I never knew the libraries were so similar!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
Jordahn said:
sly777 said:

Thanks !

Shooter, hard to say.  The 360 controller does seem to be better suited for shooters in general, but the Dual Shock is still good.  Exclusives on the 360 are Gears 1 & 2, Halo 3, Crackdown, shadowrun and Left 4 Dead.  On the PS3 you have Resistance 1 & 2, Killzone 2, Ratchet & Clank Future, and with SOCOM and Warhawk being online only.

Halo 3 = KZ2

Just on a personal note, I cannot equate Resistance to most anything.  Something about mixing the Korean War time period (our reality) with alien mutations makes it stand out.  It just does for me.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
Strategyking92 said:

Halo 3 = KZ2

Just on a personal note, I cannot equate Resistance to most anything.  Something about mixing the Korean War time period (our reality) with alien mutations makes it stand out.  It just does for me.

Fallout 3 is similar... In a sort of distant cousin sort of way. It had aliens!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
Sardauk said:
Rpruett said:
Sardauk said:
Rpruett said:
Sardauk said:
Bokal said:

Great post!

That is so PS3 biased... lol

Not really.  I prefer the PS3 to the 360.   But game enjoyment is purely a matter of personal opinion.  Price clearly favors the 360 in terms of entry point.  Reliability clearly favors the PS3 and Value I guess 'could maybe be' a tad biased.  But the PS3 does give you a Blu-Ray player, WiFi, Free Online for $400.   Add those costs onto the cheapest 360 model and include XBL fees.

Ok but, if we are talking about a gaming machine, I don't care about blu-ray, wifi (useless for gaming) etc...

A pure gamer would rather spend money into gaming rather than electronics...

Neither console is marketed as purely gaming machine though now is it? Both are categorized as multi-media machines.

IMO, this "value argument" is a Sony marketing spin : Real value is about getting more for less money, not getting more for more because... you just paid for it, that is no added-value... people on this forum don't understand that apparently...

360 has more value : It is the most succesful HD console on the market and it is available with crazy bundles..that is value to me: You wanna play ? You get the console and 2 AAA titles for 290 € or a HALO Pack for 260 €.

I have no problem with people willing to pay more for blu-ray... but this is not gaming related..(and don't come on me with the advantage of BR on gaming...this is just storage..).

You actually get gaming advantages with more storage.  Less compression is always a good thing for a gamer.   The 360 wins on price, but not value IMO.

Why the f*ck would we (360 users) want to do that ???!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get the 360 to add some features on it, like BR, sport spoilers, rocket turbine and heated cup-holder..damn...

That is why I'm saying it is a PS3-biased comparaison.

From a value standpoint. If we took out the parts of both systems and sold them at face value.  The PS3 would net you more profit than a 360.  That is having more value.

Rpruett said:

Sports games the 360/PS3 are essentially equal. Even online,  I've never had issues finding games on the PSN/XBL. (Basketball, Hockey, Madden,etc). 

Shooters
(I would probably give the edge to the 360, but I prefer the shooters on the PS3).  It essentially amounts to Kill Zone 2 / Resistance  versus Halo 3 / Gears of War.   You didn't specify first or third person shooters,  So I'm guessing you kind of like them all.  In which case,  games like Uncharted Drakes Fortune, Warhawk  , etc could all be added.

RPGs.  While the 360 has had the more appealing lineup of RPGs thus far this generation.  I'm not so sure I would turn my back to a Japanese made Sony console when it comes to RPGs.  I foresee most RPGs on the 360 that the PS3 is missing to be migrated at some point to the PS3.

Other factors that I would say should play into your purchasing decision (Or would if I were you) :

Price.  The 360 easily wins in this category in terms of entry point.  It gives the ability to jump right into HD gaming with a low $200 price tag.  Although,  you should realize that a cheap entry point now will eventually lead to what appears to be a higher overall cost (When you factor in Xbox Live (Like $50 per year), Possible other needs Bigger Hard Drve, Battery recharger kit ($15), WiFi Adapter ($100).   Which leads me to my next category.

Value.  The PS3 I believe easily wins this category in terms of 'What you get in the box'.  It's more expensive than the 360 but provides you with absolutely free online gaming which assuming you own the console and wish to play online for atleast a few years (Let's just say 3),  would be around $120- $150 additional costs for the 360.    The PS3 also has built in wireless/ethernet port.  And lastly, the PS3 includes a Blu-Ray player.

Reliability.  This may or may not be a  big concern to you.  Personally,  I hate faulty hardware.  A big concern with the 360 is the seeming ongoing issues (RROD, E74 errors etc).  Microsoft has the extended warranty (Which is very nice),  but for me personally it's not worth it.  The PS3 is a far more reliable system,  But like all hardware it too can break.

Upcoming game releases? 
Let's face it,  a lot of buying a console is looking forward to newer, better games.  Seeing where your console is going to be games wise in a few years is a good thing. While this is always in a state of constant flux and titles are being pushed forward, moved back, etc.   Look at the upcoming game releases and decide for yourself which looks better.  Most objective observers would say that the PS3 has a slightly-extremely (Depending on opinion) better lineup in the near future.   Although realize that this could differ depending on your opinion and certainly many people might change their minds after E3 this summer.

All in all, Like most others have said it all is going to depend a lot on personal preference. 
As for your decision?  I think it plays out like this :

Game types you enjoy (Shooters, RPGs, Sports)?  -  Both systems provide an equally enjoyable experience. IMHO.

Price - The 360 simply gives you a lower entry cost, although it may result in a higher end cost depending on your usage. The 360 still provides a best price to someone on a budget.

Value - The PS3 simply gives you the most bang for your buck.  Depending on your tastes though (Blu-Ray, Need for Wireless, etc), it may not be for you.  Still the PS3 provides someone the most advanced piece of hardware package at a reasonable price.

Reliability -  The PS3 simply is the more reliable system.  Although the 360 has supposedly improved on this.  Between RRODs and other issues (Many that aren't covered under warranties) it's easy to give the PS3 a nod.    (For example, my 360s disc tray broke and wouldn't read discs anymore. In order to get it repaired, it would cost me $110 as it wasn't covered under the warranty).

Upcoming game releases?  - This is where your opinion kicks in.  Personally,  I think the PS3 has a far better, more diverse,  future lineup at this point and for the foreseeable future. (God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, MAG, New Ratchet and Clank, etc).  But this category is the most personal opinion based one of the bunch.  So just take a look yourself.

Thanks a lot man. It help me out !

PS3 believe me ;)

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero

Playstation 3 can turn out to be cheaper sometimes. Depends what games you want. PS3 has a fucking lot of good games coming out this year. And MGS4 and littlebigplanet are the two greatest games this gen.. so far. The 360 has gears of war and halo, mainly a shooting console. PS3 is soon to be ahead in rpg's, and is far ahead in action/adventure.

You decide this is gonna be a flame war.