By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why didn't MGS3 ever go Greatest Hits?

Also, if a GH version had been released, do you think that it would've sold as much as its predecessors? I mean, it only sold ~4 mil. compared to ~5.5 mil. for MGS1&2.

Around the Network

only 4 mill LOL.

Hus said:
only 4 mill LOL.

4 million is alot, but not on a 100 million console fanbase

thats 4% attachment rate

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Lost tears of Kain said:
Hus said:
only 4 mill LOL.

4 million is alot, but not on a 100 million console fanbase

thats 4% attachment rate

What you expcet casual noobs to be buying up MGS ?

GT FF MGS all did best numbers early on PS2 on a smaller user base then the games relseasd later on.

(release date/user base at the tine) people can you learn that ?  MGS came out around 80 mil user base.

Hus said:

GT FF MGS all did best numbers early on PS2 on a smaller user base then the games relseasd later on.

(release date/user base at the tine) people can you learn that ?  MGS came out around 80 mil user base.

Personally, I blame MGS2. I really didn't like the game much (that whiny little bitch of a character ruined it for me).. MGS3 is a lot better but the series has lost some of the magic it had on PS1.

Obviously, judging by sales, I'm not the only who feels this way. I'm hoping for a strong comeback for MGS4.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Hus said:

Personally, I blame MGS2. I really didn't like the game much (that whiny little bitch of a character ruined it for me).. MGS3 is a lot better but the series has lost some of the magic it had on PS1.

Obviously, judging by sales, I'm not the only who feels this way. I'm hoping for a strong comeback for MGS4.

MGS3 was my first metal gear, it became my favorite game, the ending was prolly the biggest most emotional plot
twist ive ever seen in a game. after that i looked through the MGS universe and was really disappointed that snake wasnt the main character anymore.
but i still played through twin snakes and MGS2 and they both fell short to MGS3 IMO. theyre still good but i think they just cant compare to MGS3's story.

anyway im still hoping for a digital novel version on MG1 and MG2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

I think one of the reasons that the first new iteration of a franchise each gen sells better than later iterations during that same gen is because of the major leap in graphics from the previous gen.

That was worded horribly, so I'll use an example: Gran Turismo.

GT3 sold upwards of 14 mil. Why? Because it looked absolutely amazing compared to GT2. Gt4 only managed to sell ~8.5 mil. because, while it was still an excellent game, it didn't have quite the "WOW" factor that GT3 had. I think something similar may have happened with MGS as well, and I have a feeling that both GT5 and MGS4 will sell better than their immediate predecessors (GT4 & MGS3). Something similar will most likely happen with games like Tekken 6 and FFXIII as well.

I hate Greatest Hits runs with a passion. The stupid Greatest Hits labeling makes me want to stab someone.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
I hate Greatest Hits runs with a passion. The stupid Greatest Hits labeling makes me want to stab someone.

I hear ya.  If I find myself wanting to buy an older game, I scrounge around on ebay to try and find a new copy with the original label.  If it costs me $40 instead of 20, so be it.

However, this isn't because I hate the GH label so much so as like to pretend that I had the game all along.  :P