By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - DDR3-1800 has arrived

which officially make my brand sparking new DDR2-800 obsolete, lol.

If you feel like reading a whole bunch of text, here's linky, http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/30/the_new_arms_race_ddr3-1800_ram/

Around the Network

Yeah, but I will wait till DDR3 tech grows up. How much hanged out DDR2 before becoming good enough? Like 2 years?

The other day I was shopping at Newegg and found out DDR3 is available, I thought "bloody hell, DDR3 already?"

Here comes another one

Here it comes again

Here comes another one

When will it end? 

DDR3 has high latencies compared to DDR2; this means that regardless of the speed 1800 your DDR2 will perform almost as good at a much lower cost. Eventually the technology will be cheaper and low-latency, but as of now you need to pay far more for equivalent performance and you also need a new motherboard. AMD's chipsets will not support DDR3 until at least 2009 so AM2/AM2+ CPUs will not be able to be on the same motherboard as DDR3 memory.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

I don't like the idea of having to buy a new mobo every time a new RAM variant makes it to the market.. I still have DDR(1) with my good ol' socket 939. It works fine.

Around the Network

DDR3 biggest advantage it it's low power use. So whitin the year you'll have low power DDR3 modules and high speed versions that outclass DDR2 offerings.

But i don't see the gamers interest in this? Besides, memory speed can't keep up with both CPU and GPU progress. So in a way every new memory technology is a step less backwards.

There are a few Intel mobos that support both DDR2 and DDR3, but they're usually not great overclockers.

Interesting read, its nice to know what I might buy in 2 or 3 years =)

To Each Man, Responsibility