By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Ebay a reliable way to get old games?

I'm looking to get Super Mario 64, Perfect Dark, and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. GameCrazy and GameStop don't have N64 games anymore, so I'm forced to use the internet. I'm also thinking of getting a SNES.

But I've never used this before, and I'm hesistant to do so until I know a bit more about it. That's where you guys come in...

Around the Network

Provided you have a verified PayPal account and take a moment to examine a seller's feedback, It works just fine for me. I've been buying stuff of eBay since back when you needed money orders.

I haven't bought a system from ebay but I have purchased a dozen or so games over the years from ebay as well as many blu ray movies and I have never had a problem with anything that I have gotten. Just make sure that you buy from a powerseller and you should be alright.

How exactly does PayPal work?

Yeah its good... but be careful buying from people with < ~93% positives, and definately not from people with < 10 score.

Read the auction *really* carefully. There are a lot of scum auctioneers who will put "MINT condition" etc. in the title, and then in some tiny text, in the auction, they will say "no case, no manual, scratched all to heck", or somesuch. Or the shipping will be outrageous...

As long as you read carefully, and check the seller's rep, PayPal will protect you from people who break the rules.

I usually end up getting the best quality used games from normal people, who have near 100% positive reviews, but often have scores in the 30-200 range, and not in the 1000s. For the most part, its just normal folks trying to get better than what GameStop will give them.

Remember "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is", and you're set.

Around the Network

Never mind, don't answer my second question. I'm looking it up.

Is there a Play N Trade in your area? I think they have N64 games?

The closest one is about 50 miles south in Tacoma. I'm not driving that far.

eBay is fine as long as you examine the users feedback and actually read the auction.

Also, see what your local malls have, some have those gaming stores that still carry classic games and then there are places like Movie Trading Company that works well too. I don't know what's in Washington but I'm sure there's something.

Also, if you're unsure about eBay you can always go to flea markets. the bonus of that is you get to see the game before you buy.

Just make sure you buy from a US seller with some (40+) feedback and you should be fine, none of those games you listed are rare so you should have to worry much about people scamming you or selling bootlegs.