By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Halo wars?

Just wondering, why did MS order this game? When know that RTS are impossible to play on consoles, many tried, they all failed. So why halo wars? MS could have ordered a big halo 3 DLC for february, and another one for xmas, but they decided to release halo wars ... I think that they wanted to bring some PC gamers to the 360. Maybe they thought that "halo" name was big enough for that, what do u think? Is halo wars a mistake?

Around the Network

So your asking why the company that revolutionized Console FPS's by successfully duplicating the PC experience in the living room decided to attempt to bring the RTS from the PC to the living room?

Halo Wars has the same huge potential to influence console game development that Halo did.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Yeah but they failed with this one, so that's why I'm asking... There were shooters on consoles before halo...
Honestly, it's not MS or ensemble fault, it's just that RTS are not made to be played on consoles.

Hold on hold on. What the hell do you mean they failed?

1nce again, the game isn't out yet. Nothing flops, bombs, fails, goes gold, platinum, game of the year, big wins before it goes on sale.

Second of all there are a lot of people who have demoed it and found that it meets or beats their expectations for this.

Why exactly did you create this thread? Just out of curiosity, since your arguments don't seem all to clearly constructed.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Oh, I didn't realize that they failed... Wait, what does that even mean?

And yes there were console shooters before Halo, there were console RTS's before too. But really, aside from Goldeneye, which never saw too much come after it, the console FPS was barely on the radar before Halo.

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

So Halo Wars 2 on Nextbox with super hand controls will sell well

Repent or be destroyed

I mean, the game is not really good, it's not a secret (it received poor reviews). So that's why I'm asking: why a Halo rts, what's the point doing it?

Tremble said:
I mean, the game is not really good, it's not a secret (it received poor reviews). So that's why I'm asking: why a Halo rts, what's the point doing it?

It has an 82 on metacritic, that's hardly poor.  In fact, that's pretty good escpecially for a genre that according to most people can't be done on consoles.

From what I've seen and read of the game, it does a fairly good job.  Nobody is calling it the best RTS ever but that hardly means it's bad.

Oh I see, you're saying it's a failure based on it's Metacritic score of 82 based on 47 sites. Yeah that does sound atrocious. So why would Microsoft try and bring RTS's to consoles? because if they can make it work, they've tapped a huge source of gaming goodness. And does it work?

Game Informer
Halo Wars isn't perfect, but it's a huge step in the right direction for console RTS. For the first time in the sub-genre, I felt like I was playing a game instead of wrestling with a kludged-together control scheme. [Mar 2009, p.88]

IGN Australia
There's a real sense of cohesive design and polish at play here, something that we feel is missing from ports of PC titles. This is truly a console RTS, rather than a rethink on an existing title and that shines through in the intelligent interface, the interesting campaign and the multiplayer and co-op friendly gameplay.

Gamezone
A solid RTS on the Xbox 360, Halo Wars may not break the mold, but it does provide an impressive entry to the series and one that finally makes the genre feel at home on a console.

NZ Gamer
Halo Wars is the most accessible traditional RTS game we've ever tested - it works, and works well.

IGN
Halo Wars deftly dodges between the hardcore micromanagement of real-time strategy and the instant gratification expected by Halo fans. Ensemble has nailed console RTS controls, but at the expense of some depth.

And since it just wouldn't be right to list reviews without one that can be dismissed as propaganda:

Official Xbox Magazine
Though it's not a first-person shooter, Halo Wars packs all the Halo fixings you've come to expect: an engaging campaign, co-op play, engrossing multiplayer, efficient party-friendly matchmaking, hidden skulls, Legendary difficulty, and impeccable controls. We can confidently say that it's the foremost example of a real-time strategy game done right on a console. [Mar 2009, p.72]

Tremble said:

Put it this way.

According to Metacritic, Halo Wars (a CONSOLE RTS) is only 9% worse than Killzone 2.

So unless you are calling Sony's best offering in arguably the most popular console gaming genre "not really good," I'd say that this argument of yours has completely fallen apart.

Frankly, it makes me Tremble how poorly you have constructed your point.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS