By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom is back

Sean Malstrom used to write articles on The Wiikly, for a while he hasn't posted anything new, but now he is back with a new website and some new articles.

http://malstrom.50webs.com/index.htm

Around the Network

I love this guy articles. Great thread.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Awesome. I really like this line,
"This article is filled with analyst quotes predicting PS3 to be clearly dominant, the Wii ending up way last, and Malstrom laughing at them all. "hehe, I'll join in with him.

As a side note, would it be possible to change our calendar era to the P.W./A.W. system?

Rhonin the wizard said:

Sean Malstrom used to write articles on The Wiikly, for a while he hasn't posted anything new, but now he is back with a new website and some new articles.

http://malstrom.50webs.com/index.htm

Thank you for the info !

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Wow, this stuff is truly priceless :)

He could release it all as a book... as a warning to other industries. Only read a little, but I agree with almost all of it.

This is just part of, one of the many references he uses. It shows just how wrong some analysts were:

"The group predicts that the PS3 will capture 44 percent of cumulative console sales in North America by 2011, with 30 million units sold. Microsoft is expected to sell nearly 27 million units, taking up 40 percent of the market, while the Wii is forecasted to sell a little over 11 million units, accounting for just 16 percent of the market."

Wow... 11m - by 2011 :)
If it keeps selling at the same rate it is now - try 111m by 2011!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Sorry all... but I absolutely cannot contain my enthusiasm for this text. This perfectly sums up what everyone is doing on this board, and why we are here ;)

http://malstrom.50webs.com/newworld.htm

“Evil Nintendo! They have so much talent but the old Nintendo I grew up with is dead! Instead of pursuing art, literature, and the gaming way, Nintendo is producing non art which translates into non games. I would rather hear my dog bark at a crow than hear another speech on the cursed ‘Blue Ocean’.”

“But what of the inevitable future business books detailing Nintendo’s strategy?”

“Then I should burn my library. Evil Nintendo! Evil Nintendo!”

“You have an error in your brain, which would have no influence over your actions; for you see that there are as many opinions as there are heads, we all act in the same way.”

“Aye, we walk upon the same principle.”

“Precisely. A person who argues himself into the opinion that during the night our heads and feet changed places, might write very fine blogs upon the subject, but still he would walk about like everybody else.”

“So I think Nevertheless, he would soon suffer the penalty of being too much a logician.”

“You finally agree to the reality of the market?”

“I see how the raising popularity will decrease stigma allowing gamers such as myself to play more in public and be unashamed. And, the older we get, the more interested we are in having our time go further for the older we get, the less time we have.”

“Well! Now you seem to be singing the praises of non-games, when, a moment ago, you were loading them with imprecations!”

“Why, don’t you see it was only the whim of an analyst? Decades ago, smart gamers tried to be game designers in their garage. Today, the smart gamers try to be analysts in their garage. Perhaps I ought to combine the two and create a game called ‘Console Tycoon’ where all the Internet addicts can choose a time period, design their own console from that era’s available parts, choose to invest their resources in new technology, more marketing, more development, or whatever else, and turn the world into a gigantic Risk board where the chosen console will do battle against others.”

“A genius idea! But they are playing this game now, just in the primitive text version as a MMO, are they not?” 

“Yes, that is the beta version of my Console Tycoon.”

“Does your beta have a name?”

“It is called ‘Gaming Message Forum’.”

“No surprise, no surprise. But drowning gamer, I too, cry out against Nintendo.”

Its the perfect irony - we are all gamers, who should have the ultimate time wasting past-time. Yet instead of spending our time playing games - as we should be - we spend hours, upon hours on boards such as this - playing "Console Tycoon MMO". Maybe thinking that we can change something? Affect the outcome of the "game of video games"?

(PS - I am having a break after 4hrs of Red Steel & 2hrs of Mario Strikers...  Paper Mario (VC) next on my menu!)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Oh my, don't let people hear you were playing Red Steel there Shams (although I am doing my part by bumping this thread). But yeah, great reads indeed.