By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Thoughts on Peter Berg doing Dune 2010?

Next year, there is a third adaptation of the great Frank Herbert story of Dune coming.

The one selected to be the director is Peter Berg. If you don't know him, he's the same director who worked on the movies The Rundown, The Kingdom, and Hancock. So far I'm not sure what to think about him doing Dune 2010, though I am hopeful it turns out well.

There is one side of me that thinks that maybe he could be the next Peter Jackson, a man who started with lesser known films such as Meet the Feebles and The Frighteners, and went on to create the critically and commercially acclaimed LOTR trilogy. On the other, if he's SO into his current status of doing action type films that tend to have stories that don't exactly reach the heights of classics, this adaptation might just be all action and lacking any of the depth and complexity of the book.

As it stands though, I'll probably just wait for the trailer and then decide if he was the right man for the job, I'm just not the kind of person who liked to jump to conclusions.

So... what say you?

Member #50 of the Sonic Support Squad! :P

Around the Network

Interesting. I didn't know Peter Berg is working as a director now. I only knew him as actor from the great thriller The Last Seduction.

I like David Lynch's Dune movie.

What was the 2nd adaptation? The TV mini-series (which I found extremely boring)?

okr said:
Interesting. I didn't know Peter Berg is working as a director now. I only knew him as actor from the great thriller The Last Seduction.

I like David Lynch's Dune movie.

What was the 2nd adaptation? The TV mini-series (which I found extremely boring)?

Yeah the second adaptation was the scifi mini-series. 

I haven't seen the David Lynch movie since I was really young so I can't say much on that.  I haven't even seen the scifi mini-series, but I saw Children of Dune which was supposed to have been done by the same folks, and I found it to be a good adaptation of the two sequels.

Member #50 of the Sonic Support Squad! :P