By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft purchasing 3dv system - works better than Wii

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-8857-Will-the-Xbox-360-Have-A-New-Camera-Soon.html

This would be totally awesome!

"In 3DV Systems, we have taken a state-of-the-art next generation 3d imaging technology, originally used in advanced defense systems, and transformed it into an affordable consumer device that will revolutionize the way gaming is experienced. For the first time ever, you can use your body freely to control games, no wearables required, no limitations attached. Move your hand, leg, head or finger, in any direction and setting, moving quickly or making fine, minor movement - all these gestures are easily detected and understood by the system, creating a unique personalized and immersive gaming experience. This experience is complemented by the ability to combine your own 3D image inside the game scene, in real-time. "

Now a new article has popped up on VentureBeat.com stating that sources have confirmed that Microsof is indeed buying the company for $35 Million.  According to the author, Dean Takahashi who has demoed the ZCam, states "When I did a demo of the technology, I was able to control a game just by waving my arms around. I could fly a plane by pretending to hold a joystick and also box against a virtual fighter by throwing punches toward the camera. The motion detection was accurate, much more so than with the Wii, which uses relatively cheap but primitive accelerometers and infrared technology for motion detection."

Around the Network

Very misleading title..

Pixel Art can be fun.

where is the wii connection? o_O

sounds amaizing
Maybe they will use it on the next box

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

this reminds me of the very successful itoy

Around the Network

It's easy to say "better".
Let's see the commercial product at affordable price before the bragging rights?

"The Wii is the No. 1 game console, even though its graphics aren’t as good as the Xbox 360’s or the Sony PlayStation 3’s."

Amazing, he drops that in right at the end, lol. Well as he said theres a ton of competitors out there so anything MS can buy Nintendo can do better, thats obvious.

Like to see what kind of software they can make thats as mainstream as Wii Sports because without the simplicity of games that are played by everyone MS have no chance of making this big. Wonder if Rare will help?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Matt Cassamania demoed the Z-cam at some event once, seemed really cool. Also it claims to actually fucking work in low light conditions, something that every other camera controller thing I've tried usually can't do. I really hope Microsoft isn't buying this thinking that it can kill the Wii. Because when that ultimately fails they'll probably abandon it, which would be a shame since this could be a cool little piece of tech.

The key point though is that if it is just an accessory to the Xbox 360, then it will not get used much (see PS2, Eyetoy).

If it is built into a new console, Nintendo will be on to something else, and Microsoft will appear to (again) be copying the market leader.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Dean Takahashi

E-mail: deantaka@gmail.com

Dean Takahashi is a writer for VentureBeat. Prior to his currrent job, he was the Tech Talk Columnist at the San Jose Mercury News, where he wrote gadget reviews and opinion pieces on technology in Silicon Valley. He also wrote the Dean & Nooch on Gaming and Tech Talk blogs and did a regular video podcast on gaming. He has been a journalist for 20 years, most of it covering technology business news. Before he joined the Mercury News in 2002, he was a senior writer at the Red Herring magazine from 2000 to 2002. Before that, he was a staff writer in the San Francisco office of the Wall Street Journal from 1996 to 2000. His first job at the Mercury News was as a chip industry reporter from 1994 to 1996. Before that, he worked at the Los Angeles Times Orange County Edition, the Orange County Register, and the Dallas Times Herald. He has a master's degree in journalism from Northwestern University (1987) and a bachelor's degree in English from UC Berkeley (1986). He is the author of two books, "The Xbox 360 Uncloaked" published in 2006 and "Opening the Xbox" published in 2002. He lives in the suburbs of San Jose and is an avid gamer. His favorite game is Halo.

------ Just in case your hoping for objectivity, you can't have it. lol

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.