By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Laptop buying help

Howdy VGC'ers!

My brother is in search of a quality laptop for his first few years of college that is priced ~$800. I know some of you are very good at finding deals so HOOK ME UP!!!!

Around the Network

bump me,

cmon peoplez help me out?!

consider lenovo
they Y series might be of your interest

No dell and no mac, that's all I can say! Vaio's not bad

yeah go with a Vaio, HP's have gotten better as well

Around the Network

Yeah I got a vaio and I'm pretty happy with it! Great screen quality!

I have a Vaio and absolutely hate the battery. It only lasts like 1 hr before I have to charge it again. I say, don't go with a Vaio, there are other laps of the same quality and cheaper price. Buy HP.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

I'd check out a consumer reports buying guide. I can't find mine right now so sorry can't give anything that they praise.

Soma said:
I have a Vaio and absolutely hate the battery. It only lasts like 1 hr before I have to charge it again. I say, don't go with a Vaio, there are other laps of the same quality and cheaper price. Buy HP.

The typical standard battery that comes with a laptop will only last about an hour or so. If you want good battery life, you need to buy the extended-life batteries.

Anyhow, my wife and I have had great luck with HP/Compaq laptops. They're pretty iffy with desktops, but they do laptops very well. Lenovos are pretty good as well. I'd avoid Toshibas entirely, though. My dad bought a Toshiba for my mom a few years ago and it's been a piece of trash.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
Soma said:

The typical standard battery that comes with a laptop will only last about an hour or so. If you want good battery life, you need to buy the extended-life batteries.

Anyhow, my wife and I have had great luck with HP/Compaq laptops. They're pretty iffy with desktops, but they do laptops very well. Lenovos are pretty good as well. I'd avoid Toshibas entirely, though. My dad bought a Toshiba for my mom a few years ago and it's been a piece of trash.

Oh Really?! Didn't knew that, I thought they last longer... at least 2 hours.

I agree with the rest of your post, I have seen very good HP and Compaq laps, as good as Vaio and cheaper.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069