By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

BTFeather55 said:
seece said:
BTFeather55 said:
Well, he is right about the 360, the closer we get to the release of Gears 3, the closer we get to the launch of the next xbox and the retirement of the 360. And, the Wii is a 6th gen console (albeit the strongest one) competing for the favor of people that have never been that much into gaming while losing a lot of longtime gamers that weren't raised on Nintendo.

Dude do you have to keep going on about Gears 3 and it being the end of the 360, you know nothing.

When they release Gears 3, what its? oh fuck we need to release the next xbox, we have nothing left ....

If they release Gears 3 on the current 360, they will have a much harder time selling the next xbox, and when your key game is headed towards your next console most other development starts to follow.

Of course, if they choose to keep the 360 on the market much longer the PS3 will overtake it by the end of 2010 as Sony will have a massive quantity of exclusive games on the way from first and second parties, Hideo Kojima, Sega, and Square while other than Halo and Gears the 360 really doesn't have any strong games and Gears really saved it last holiday season.  Without Gears, the PS3 would have slaughtered the 360 during the holidays.

Oh ok this is where I stopped reading.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Pristine20 said:
Seriously, did you guys expect Kaz to come out and say "I agree with all the game journalists, ps3 is doomed" or "ps3 is in last place and it's future looks bleak"? Is that what you would've said if you were in his shoes? I guess that's why he is CEO and chances are that you could never get to that kind of position.

They could try to learn from Nintendo, and rather than making outrageous claims they could demonstrate how the PS3 is successful regardless of its performance in the console war ...

They've done things like that by lumping all PS consoles together and other minor things and gotten an internet shitstorm regardless. Some internet reactions are absolutely senseless sometimes.

If I remember correctly, at a time Kaz presented all the games that were exclusive to sony (it's 1st and 2nd party) as reasons why people should buy ps3s when the loss of 3rd party exclusives reached its zenith. There was a shitstorm regardless.

When sony put the grid out to show why ps3 was valuable, there was a shitstorm regardless...what next? Perhaps some of you guys should post your advise in the official PS forums since you know how it's done because I frankly don't know what will make you happy.

Or perhaps you expect Kaz to keep quiet and let Greenberg define both the ps3 and 360? Nintendo let sony define the N64 for them back in the ps1 era, we all know how that one turned out.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

FishyJoe said:
What makes the not competing statement rather ridiculous is they just put out a press release last week comparing the consoles.

THIS.

bardicverse said:
Pristine20 said:
Seriously, did you guys expect Kaz to come out and say "I agree with all the game journalists, ps3 is doomed" or "ps3 is in last place and it's future looks bleak"? Is that what you would've said if you were in his shoes? I guess that's why he is CEO and chances are that you could never get to that kind of position.

Something a little more intelligent and less 4th grade would be nice from the head of a company. Maybe even something a little humble, like "Our past direction may not have headed where we would have liked, but we have new visions for our direction, bringing the Playstation brand into a more favorable position"

Hell, they should hire me as their spokesperson.

From the look of things, humility = concession in this industry. I don't think you'd want to admit to future game console purchasers that you've conceeded especially when you're currently last. The rest of the idea sound vague, the question would then be "exactly what does this doomsday company plan to do?"

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

FishyJoe said:
Khuutra said:
Hyruken said:
Just noticed he said this about programming on the PS3

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai"

Seriously that is worth a thread all on its own.....

What.

I hope he mispoke or something, because if he really means it, then Sony is doomed. Seriously, if they aren't providing the best developer tools they possibly can, then they are doing a diservice to their developers.

That literally cannot be the design philosophy behind the console's infrastructure. It can't. No company is that insane.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Khuutra said:
Hyruken said:

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai"

What.

I hope he mispoke or something, because if he really means it, then Sony is doomed. Seriously, if they aren't providing the best developer tools they possibly can, then they are doing a diservice to their developers.

He says it in the OPM, the people over at EvilAvatar noticed it

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?s=334fa7531b999931a1788b117e67f085&p=1705181#post1705181

I dunno why he would say that especially in the official mag, it is like him saying "you devs dont deserve an easy process for making games on the PS3".. mind boggling

Hyruken said:
FishyJoe said:
Khuutra said:
Hyruken said:

What.

He says it in the OPM, the people over at EvilAvatar noticed it

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?s=334fa7531b999931a1788b117e67f085&p=1705181#post1705181

I dunno why he would say that especially in the official mag, it is like him saying "you devs dont deserve an easy process for making games on the PS3".. mind boggling

I personally saw it as him saying "You consumers are idiots for paying a massive premium on a system where the benefit of that expense won't be seen until it is dirt cheap!"

seece said:
BTFeather55 said:
seece said:
BTFeather55 said:
Well, he is right about the 360, the closer we get to the release of Gears 3, the closer we get to the launch of the next xbox and the retirement of the 360. And, the Wii is a 6th gen console (albeit the strongest one) competing for the favor of people that have never been that much into gaming while losing a lot of longtime gamers that weren't raised on Nintendo.

Dude do you have to keep going on about Gears 3 and it being the end of the 360, you know nothing.

When they release Gears 3, what its? oh fuck we need to release the next xbox, we have nothing left ....

If they release Gears 3 on the current 360, they will have a much harder time selling the next xbox, and when your key game is headed towards your next console most other development starts to follow.

Of course, if they choose to keep the 360 on the market much longer the PS3 will overtake it by the end of 2010 as Sony will have a massive quantity of exclusive games on the way from first and second parties, Hideo Kojima, Sega, and Square while other than Halo and Gears the 360 really doesn't have any strong games and Gears really saved it last holiday season.  Without Gears, the PS3 would have slaughtered the 360 during the holidays.

Well, that's nice to know that you didn't need to read the explanation why because a period there probably does suffice for some people.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
seece said:
BTFeather55 said:
seece said:
BTFeather55 said:

Well, that's nice to know that you didn't need to read the explanation why because a period there probably does suffice for some people.

You expect a new console by 2010?

Microsoft can have an entirely new IP as a launch game, or Halo 4 ... or Gears 4 ... You reason is completly stupid. The xbox 360 didn't have a well known huge IP until around its 2nd birthday/3rd christmas ... The next Xbox will do fine at launch as long as it has decent games, doesnt need a Gears or Halo on its launch.

why do people don't get that sony and nintendo are not competitors, both companies said so themselves.