By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - xbox 360 dead as a dodo

I think we all know it's dead in Japan. But after speaking to certain people the impression i got was of a console struggling big time in Europe. Adding onto that the massive failure rates around the world. Is the US the xbox 360's last stand.

Around the Network

It's doing fine and it's sales have doubled in europe based on this sites numbers. It has done better in Europe in a shorter period of time then the XB did. Check the numbers, it is fine and the sales will only go up. They said the same thing about the Xbox, but based on this sites numbers it outsold the GC in europe...Unless this site is wrong. BTW, I looked at this sites euro numbers again. Seems the 360 sold more in 2006 than the XB ever did. It sold more units is all but 2 areas than the XB's best year, and the other 2 it tied. I can't find monthly numbers, but only yearly. But it seems to be doing alot better than the xb did. So is it dead? NO, far from it.

Death2009 said: It's doing fine and it's sales have doubled in europe based on this sites numbers. It has done better in Europe in a shorter period of time then the XB did. Check the numbers, it is fine and the sales will only go up. They said the same thing about the Xbox, but based on this sites numbers it outsold the GC in europe...Unless this site is wrong. BTW, I looked at this sites euro numbers again. Seems the 360 sold more in 2006 than the XB ever did. It sold more units is all but 2 areas than the XB's best year, and the other 2 it tied. I can't find monthly numbers, but only yearly. But it seems to be doing alot better than the xb did. So is it dead? NO, far from it.
gotta rember PS3 sales are close to PS2 sales. (monthly) and Wii is just stupid crazy. I'd say the 360 has already lost.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: gotta rember PS3 sales are close to PS2 sales. (monthly) and Wii is just stupid crazy. I'd say the 360 has already lost.
Ehh didn't xbox360 sell more than PS3 last month in USA? (of course xbox360 s*cks in japan as always)

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

robjoh said: Kwaad said: gotta rember PS3 sales are close to PS2 sales. (monthly) and Wii is just stupid crazy. I'd say the 360 has already lost. Ehh didn't xbox360 sell more than PS3 last month in USA? (of course xbox360 s*cks in japan as always)
Yes it did. In fact it has outsold in every month since launch I think.
gotta rember PS3 sales are close to PS2 sales. (monthly) and Wii is just stupid crazy. I'd say the 360 has already lost.
It is still ahead of the wii there and the PS3 hasn't even been released there yet. Why are you so quick to kill the 360? Most of all with a system that hasn't even been released yet?

Around the Network

360 fans need not worry, at least if you are in the US. EA will continue to pump out sports games and halo 3 is coming out. That seems to be all that the average 360 owner wants anyway. Oh, and backwards compatibility with halo and halo 2. did I overgeneralize? I'm sorry. but seriously, since GTA has gone to the 360 (in addition to ps3), I don't see any reason for american 360 owners to worry. as for europe...if the PS3 sells as well as some are predicting this month and next, 360 could be in major trouble in europe.

The 360 has definitely lost some momentum - but this was inevitiable when the other consoles would be released. What MS has done wisely is delay/hold back several key titles - until the mid of this year. That will help the 360 regain momentum once the release hype over the Wii / Ps3 dies down. There will be a serious too/froing between the PS3 / 360 for the next 12-18 months (if not longer) starting soon. I think its going to be one of the most intense/nasty/important battles we have ever "seen" in the games industry. MS is pretty serious about this, and is ready to sacrifice some serious cash to hurt Sony (i.e. win the hardcore section of the market). They do have one significant advantage - since there are already 10mill (approx) 360's out there, cross platform games released on both the 360/PS3 will sell MUCH higher on the 360 (in most cases?). This will give MS some serious ammo - with press releases like "GTA on 360 outsells PS3 by 3:1", etc. The 360 definitely isn't dead - the PS3 isn't dominating - and there is still no real sign of who will "win" this. If the 360 can continue to outsell the Ps3 in the US - expect some worries from Sony. On the other hand, if PS3 global sales can rapidly reach the sales figures for the 360... MS may have to change strategy completely.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said: gotta rember PS3 sales are close to PS2 sales. (monthly) and Wii is just stupid crazy. I'd say the 360 has already lost.
Because having similar sales to a previous console generation means it's going to repeat it's success/failure.

If Microsoft can keep PES7 and Fifa 08 exclusive, it will hurt the PS3 badly. Is Microsoft thinking about this? I think so. Will EA and Konami accept this deal? I doubt it.

Now Loading... Please Wait!

360 isn't dead in the least. It has a very very very healthy lineup of games that will boost sales, and garner new players. I'm not saying this from a fanboy standpoint, but it has the software to survive and go against the Wii and PS3. The 360 last year in Japan out-sold any and every year the Xbox 1 had in Japan. Yes, 196,000 units is horrible, but it's actually about 50,000 units better than any other year that MS ever had there. This year will be even bigger with more important titles like Lost Odyssey coming out earlier in the year. Will LO really impact Japan? Yes, absolutely. It won't make a big difference on worldwide numbers, but it'll hugely help MS in Japan. Thus far, year over year in Japan - The 360 is doing 146% better than last year: Of course, even though thats a huge improvement, it's still nothing compared to the PS3/Wii, but it shows that the 360 IMPROVED when the next-gen systems came out. In America, it is similar, but we only have 3 months to compare data (Nov-Jan), but the 360 is up 140% in the US. Although this will absolutely go down in percentage through the year, thus far the 360 is a huge 1.1 MILLION units ahead in the US over launch last year. Again, the 360 has improved month-over-month over launch vs. it's next-gen compeditors. The PS3 has not led the 360 since it's launch. The Wii has only led 1 month, and is still about 600,000 units behind the 360 if you leave out 360 launch data, and just go from last November. Software is a similar story - The 360 actually still leads the Wii/PS3 in software, both with launch data between all 3 systems, and is far far ahead in the US if you compare this Nov-Jan, respectively. The 360 has sold around 10,000,000 pieces of software in that timeframe, with an estimated 5.2 software attach ratio (its actually higher than that, but that's what VGcharts has it at) compared to a 3.4 for the Wii (including the free Wii Sports) and 2.1 for the PS3. Even at launch. This number is even better than the Wii/PS3 at their launches, or in January, as the 360 had a 3.9 ratio at this time last year (without a free pack-in title that was counted) So all of this to make it short & sweet: The 360 is doing better than it was now the Wii and PS3 are out. In the US, it is beating both systems, and will easily lead both systems in the US through December, and possibly forever. Barring a major shift in the summer months (ie, PS3/Wii continue to sell at great rates and 360 sells worse), the 360 should lead for life in the US, as it has the advantage of a price drop quicker/easier than either system. It should be noted that Nintendo could drop their price easily as well, but a price drop for both would work in MS's favor better as it'd get the price to the golden number, whereas the Wii is already there. Europe, who knows. From what I've seen, it's doing almost as good YOY over it's launch. Lost Planet was #1 in the s/w charts in January in some, if not most, areas. Most likely the PS3 will beat it out at some point, but it still is doing better. Food for though: The Xbox 360 from launch to October 2006 sold around 6.0~6.5m units. Since November, it has sold 50% of that and climbing. It has 8 more months to improve on that number. By that number, I expect approx. 8-9m units sold this year cycle, with an even bigger improvement in the year 3 cycle due to full implements of a pricedrop + major titles like Halo 3 and GTAIV.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.