By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forbes: Sony is Screwed...Is this article accurate?

well, Sony is selling the most cheapest Blu ray player so i guess they would the most of the profit which blu ray gives

Around the Network
Snake said:

sell, Sony is selling the kost cheapest Blu ray player so i guess they would the most of the profit

Drunk or stupid?

FishyJoe said:
Snake said:

sell, Sony is selling the kost cheapest Blu ray player so i guess they would the most of the profit

Drunk or stupid?

Forum rules:

6.Insults. Attacking other users for any reason is never acceptable. This includes racism and bigotry. Do not insult someone's religion, race, sex, sexuality, nationality, political beliefs, or gaming preferences. Debate is encouraged, but respect the beliefs and opinions of others.

You as moderator should know that

i mayde some spelling mistakes in my repaly about blu ray, bu i fixed it as you can see in 6th post in this page

@Snake: I liked that Ninja edit. First you said you were drunk, then maybe you figured you could take a jab instead?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Snake said:
FishyJoe said:
Snake said:

Drunk or stupid?

Forum rules:

6.Insults. Attacking other users for any reason is never acceptable. This includes racism and bigotry. Do not insult someone's religion, race, sex, sexuality, nationality, political beliefs, or gaming preferences. Debate is encouraged, but respect the beliefs and opinions of others.

I apologize to all the drunk and stupid users I've offended.

SlorgNet said:
NJ5 said:

Interesting, I had never heard of this Keiretsu name. However according to wikipedia Sony is not in that system. Is this wrong?

Wikipedia's information is a bit out of date. The keiretsu used to be relatively autarkic groups, where a cluster of industrial firms had one main bank, one main insurance firm, and one main trading house. During the crisis of the 1990s, though, this model began to break down - banks couldn't bail out firms from the bad debts of the post-Bubble crash. Lots of neoliberal observers, who celebrate Wall Street-style greed and condemn any other form of capitalism as Satanic, doomed or just plain un-American, claimed Japan was toast and Japan Inc. would become just like the US.

Wrong. The Japanese government bailed out its banks, and the keiretsu banks merged into super-banks. One of the great ironies of the neoliberal era is that the keiretsu model was extended to the entire Japanese stock market.

Don't believe me? Crack open any issue of the Japan Company Handbook and look at the shareholdings of the major firms. You'll see widely dispersed networks of shareholdings, concentrated around a few major holders -- MTFG, Mizuho and Sumitomo-Mitsui, plus various government trust funds.

Sony wasn't a traditional keiretsu member, but today that doesn't matter. Any major Japanese company which gets into trouble will get a helping hand from these networks. They're durable, efficient, and are the model for many other booming East Asian economies (especially China).

I'm not doubting what you say, except perhaps for the last paragraph. What interest do these networks have in helping competitors? Do you have a source for that?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

FishyJoe said:
Snake said:
FishyJoe said:
Snake said:

Drunk or stupid?

Forum rules:

I apologize to all the drunk and stupid users I've offended.

I accept your apology.

NJ5 said:

I'm not doubting what you say, except perhaps for the last paragraph. What interest do these networks have in helping competitors? Do you have a source for that?

Oh, the keiretsu compete ferociously with each other, so it's not anti-competitive. The genius of the system is that it creates a social buffer which helps all firms during crises, including supply networks. Most other developed countries have variations of this strategy - Germany and France regularly intervene to bail out a strategic industry or firm, e.g. Only the US has been crazy enough not to do this, though times change - the bailout of Morgan Stanley, GM and Ford means we're becoming more like the rest of the world.

Some useful sources: Michael Gerlach's "Alliance Capitalism" is one of the best academic accounts of the keiretsu, Robert Friedman's "The Misunderstood Miracle" has good details on the complexity of Japan's local developmental state.

I also have some of the shareholding data for East Asian firms up here: http://www.efn.org/~dredmond/keiretsu.html

(This is 2003 data, a bit dated, haven't had time to update, but the patterns are roughly the same today.)

Sony is far from doomed... the Japanese government wouldnt let the company that saved them after WWII to sink.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453