By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mark Rein likes all that blu-ray space for UT3

http://kotaku.com/gaming/chocolate-rein/mark-rein-utiii-love-the-blu+ray-289595.php

"We'll compress some things. But you know, we may have fewer maps on the 360 version... Blu-Ray has definitely given us a lot of legroom.

If you think down the road, well maybe the next UT beyond this one, on Blu-Ray disc, we might fill the whole damn disc with all the cool stuff the mod makers make."

Around the Network

First thing... You cheat on SSHD! :P

Second. More space = better. always.

I just love how technology is adopted.

1880: Why would you ever need an electric light? I like my oil lights just fine?
1905: Why would I want one of those... horseless carriages. They dont work half the time and their such a pain in the ass!
1940: Why would you ever need a bomb that can blow up an entire country?
1954: Why would you ever need to go to the moon?
1970: Why would you ever need a computer in your house?
1982: Why would you ever need more than 256kbit RAM?
1982: Why would you ever need more than 1mbyte of storage?!
1994: Why would you ever need more than 650mbyte of storage?!
2000: Why would you ever need more than 8.5gbyte of storage?!
2007: Why would you ever need 200gb on a disc at all?!

I love trends! :)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

50GB's is the dual layered size, 25gbs is it's single layered size.

It's not surprising. Shooting games are usually very "heavyweight"

True fighters don't wear socks.

200gb is the I beleive 6layerd version. A simple firmware update will should allow the PS3 to read the discs.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

There is a 200gb Blue ray, but is not been uso on the PS3

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Kwaad said:
First thing... You cheat on SSHD! :P

Second. More space = better. always.

I just love how technology is adopted.

1880: Why would you ever need an electric light? I like my oil lights just fine?
1905: Why would I want one of those... horseless carriages. They dont work half the time and their such a pain in the ass!
1970: Why would you ever need a computer in your house?
1982: Why would you ever need more than 256kbit RAM?
1982: Why would you ever need more than 1mbyte of storage?!
1994: Why would you ever need more than 650mbyte of storage?!
2000: Why would you ever need more than 8.5gbyte of storage?!
2007: Why would you ever need 200gb on a disc at all?!

I love trends! :)

Nobody is saying we weren't going to eventually need discs capable of Blu-Ray storage and better.  Just that it was stupid for them to make gamers pay the costs to bring the technology into the mainstream.  Normally new High Density storage formats are brought into the corporate world where they truly need tons of storage for backups etc...And once those industries make it affordable it moves into the private sector.

As it is Blu-Ray will probably be obsolete as a result of HVD or PCD within the next 6 years and both of those formats are going to be capable of a lot more storage.  Does that mean gamers should of forked over a few thousand dollars for one of those formats instead?  Of course not, you make the sector of society who needs the technology the most foot the bill in making it cost effective. 

Back on topic: As it is Blu-Ray is here and gamers are paying the cash for it, so I see no reason for them not to take absolute full advantage of the technology. If that means more maps for a PS3 version then so be it.  

To Each Man, Responsibility
Kwaad said:

1. Baaad example. Tasteless.

2. Still don't know, do you?

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
ElRhodeo said:
Kwaad said:

1. Baaad example. Tasteless.

2. Still don't know, do you?

Wait, are you one of those folks who think we never landed on the moon?

To Each Man, Responsibility

One sec...I know this one...Going to the moon helped us...help with....umm.....showing the soviets that the US is the best? Collecting Moon Dust?

Kwaad, Why on earth do we need to blow up an entire country?

On Topic, more is (almost) always better of course, but it tends to increase bloatware too, MP3's might of never of existed if it wasn't for the limited bandwidth of the internet, limitations inspire inventiveness.

For the first few years I think they will just waste this extra space on pointless extras, like they did with CD's and DVD's. So it's great to see that Epic are going to use them for Maps and mods :) I'll still get it on the PC though :P

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"