By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Upgrading the PS3 Harddrive

My birthday is coming up so i'm gonna ask for a Harddrive for my PS3, i currently have the launch 20gig PS3 model. I'm looking at this harddrive to put into my PS3 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822148338

It's Seagate 320GB Harddrive at 5400 RPM with 8MB Cache & Sata 3.0Gb/s Notebook Drive (OEM).

Before doing the upgrade I had some questions about the process -

1. From what i understand the 20gig PS3 harddrive runs at 5400rpm also so there won't be any issue regarding overheating, right?
  2. Are there any reportied problems from people upgrading harddrives? (like the PS3 not recognizing the new drive, etc...)
  3. Will the haddrive i listed work perfectly fine?

Furthermore, I'm willing to take suggestions for other harddrives if they are better but i would like them to be Seagate drives (since i can get an employee discount) & for the rpm be the same as the stock rpm for the 20gig drive that's currently in the system.

That Was Left-Handed

Xbox Live: Spire VII

Playstation 3 Network: Spire_VII

Around the Network

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314

this is a better drive.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Be wary of the screws.

I'm not even joking, they are made of very soft medal, but have been machined into place. It is very very easy to strip them out.

When I was upgrading my HDD, I ended up taking a serrated steak knife to one of the screws to make a new grip area for my screwdriver.

It's a pretty easy process, as long as you don't strip out the screws on the HDD harness.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Domo-Kun said:
Be wary of the screws.

I'm not even joking, they are made of very soft medal, but have been machined into place. It is very very easy to strip them out.

When I was upgrading my HDD, I ended up taking a serrated steak knife to one of the screws to make a new grip area for my screwdriver.

It's a pretty easy process, as long as you don't strip out the screws on the HDD harness.

If you want to avoid a big headache do this:

Before you switch the hardrives. Even before you buy the bigger hardrive....Call Sony. Tell them you switched the hardrives and you need a new case/cage for the hardrive along with the screws. They will ask for your info such as your PS3's serial number, your name and adress. Once they ship it to you, remove the hardrive which is connected to the case. Now take the new hardrive and put it in the new case and screw it in.

Don't Worry.....Be Happy

Elite1 said:
Domo-Kun said:
Be wary of the screws.

Before you switch the hardrives. Even before you buy the bigger hardrive....Call Sony. Tell them you switched the hardrives and you need a new case/cage for the hardrive along with the screws. They will ask for your info such as your PS3's serial number, your name and adress. Once they ship it to you, remove the hardrive which is connected to the case. Now take the new hardrive and put it in the new case and screw it in.

That i will do, thanks for the advice. In responce to ssj12, i won't buy a Western Digital harddrive, i hate WD.

That Was Left-Handed

Xbox Live: Spire VII

Playstation 3 Network: Spire_VII

Around the Network

WD sucks.

I got a Seagate, hasn't let me down yet.

BTW, the RPM's on your new hard drive won't really have a noticeable effect on your system.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

it HAS to be a notebook harddrive, so memorize the notebook HDD dimensions b4 purchase, or else it wont fit in ur PS3

that looks like a good HDD i got the 160GB seagate last year with no problems. The PS3 ships with a seagate inside so stick with them.

Spire_VII said:
Elite1 said:
Domo-Kun said:
Be wary of the screws.

That i will do, thanks for the advice. In responce to ssj12, i won't buy a Western Digital harddrive, i hate WD.

Yeah I stripped my screws too. used a hacksaw to make new slots lol

Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

You might want to back up your PS3 to an external harddrive formatted in FAT32 first, then restore everything after the swapout.

It's pretty painless and lets you keep all your saves and settings etc.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Domo-Kun said:
WD sucks.

I got a Seagate, hasn't let me down yet.

BTW, the RPM's on your new hard drive won't really have a noticeable effect on your system.

I have

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453