By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "PS3 Haters Lose Advantage, Jealousy Fuels Hostility"

Various knowledgeable people before the PS3 launched stated it would take a while before seeing developers get the most from this architecture, this because some of its core technology is so innovative and different. Although we have seen eye catching games like Motorstorm in 2006 and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune in 2007, that was only the beginning of things.

Now with regard to the 2008 line-up, we have perspectives like:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43916.html

"And the winner is.... "Playstation 3"!

The tides have truly turned in 2008. Developers finally up to speed with the Playstation hardware, so multi-platform games are on equal footing.

Then you have to look at the exclusives for each platform. When stacking up the PS3 holding releases against those of the 360, there's really no contest in quality and quantity"

Despite all of this internet forums and especially US media are heating up again with their FUD and misinformation, the PS3 is DOOMED!

Here PSXExtreme's take on things:

"At the end of each year, everyone first reflects and than looks forward to the year ahead. Unfortunately, this results in video game insanity, as a whole lot of "news" gets misinterpreted as fact and the Internet explodes in ridiculous "reports."

If you've been surfing the web recently, you've probably seen a few articles talking about how the PS3 is "disappointing" everyone; how it failed to "produce," and even how Sony is planning to discontinue/cancel the machine. The worst part is, some haters are beginning to latch onto these inane beliefs, thereby exponentially increasing the rapidity of what I like to call "high-speed stupidity expansion." And here's the interesting part: there are never any actual facts, but there's a marked increase in general hostility amongst the Sony hating crowd. The only logical conclusion is that jealousy continues to fan the flames; this comes as a direct result of 2008 reflection and 2009 prediction. In 2008, the PS3 had what most are calling the Game of the Year in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, and with other additions (PlayStation Home, LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2, the Blu-Ray rise, etc.), we have to assume that the haters are simply pissed that all their former arguments no longer hold water.

Just about the last negative revolves around the price of the machine, which will almost certainly fall some time this year, anyway. Then, when the exclusives essentially annihilate the competition - I'm still waiting on the Xbox 360 list that will compete with Killzone 2, God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain, Infamous and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - the haters won't have anything left to cling to. What are we going to complain about then? The excellent reliability from Day 1 that has trumped Microsoft hands down? The Blu-Ray functionality that is always a bonus? The free Network that is now damn close to Xbox Live in terms of options and bells and whistles? PlayStation Home? What? And yet, with all this, we find a ton of baseless and absurdly ignorant articles proclaiming death upon the PS3. When this happens, there's only one cause, and I've been around long enough to recognize it...

The haters have lost and the jealousy has kicked in. It happened when the Dreamcast fell in the wake of the PS2. It happened when the Xbox proved to everyone that Microsoft was a legitimate competitor in the industry. And now, it's happening as the PS3 emerges cleanly from yet another growth year and is on the brink of what should most certainly be its most successful year yet. Looking at the lineup and everything the system has going for it, does anyone feel like arguing this point? And can they do it without the hostility? It's a fact of human nature: when we feel we are in the right, we will calmly and confidently present our side of the argument, but when we know we're wrong and are too embarrassed to admit it, we get extremely defensive and even downright nasty. Such is the way...and such is the exact explanation for all these retarded anti-PS3 articles. Our advice? Ignore them all and keep it here, where your news is always unbiased and uninfected by exaggeration. We reported the same doom and gloom as everyone else in late 2006/early 2007, but unlike the biased masses, we're willing to recognize a very clear rise.

And just because I feel as if I should have the disclaimer (it's sad, but it's probably necessary), I'll go play some Gears 2 now. It rocks the house...even if it is the only Xbox 360 exclusive that I really need."

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/4389.html

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

IMO take the reports with a grain of salt, remember the HD DVD camp on forums and amongst US media also spouted Blu-Ray's doom and heralded HD DVD as the premature winner. They were the most vocal, but that hasn't changed the actual longer term outcome.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Although it's from psxtreme, they do have a point. So many people were whining on the GT forums when ps3 was awarded "best software line up of 2008". It's actually funny because M$ was the first to start the touting of metacritic and all the software noise.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

^^^^^it's really tough when you taste your own medicine.MS just tasted their own medicine ;)

MS is currently tasting the medicine of outselling the PS3 two to one Spartan.

Something tells me they aren't finding it too tough

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Do you think the article is talking about VGCHARTZ community when they are talking about the haters?

konnichiwa said:
Do you think the article is talking about VGCHARTZ community when they are talking about the haters?

Of course not, not specifically at least. Sure there are many 'Blu-Ray is Doomed / HD DVD kicks ass!' loud mouths here as well. But of the VGChartz members more people seem to own Metal Gear Solid 4 than Halo 3 (released earlier, extra holiday season). So there are plenty of PS3 users who are members of this website as well.

PS3 vs 360 sales

People dont like PS3 because it is very expansive, sony called X360 "Xbox 1,5", and so far it is nothing better than X360.
So Sony is eating its own shit.

Predictions: 2008/2009

Wii 42-45 M / 71-75M

X360 24-26M / 38-40M
PS3 20-21 M / 30-34M

EvilAvatar said:

People dont like PS3 because it is very expansive, sony called X360 "Xbox 1,5"

I agree, the PS3 is very expansive. Lots of cheap industry standard expansions like 320 GB harddrives for the same price you buy a 120 GB 360 harddrive, PlayTV, lots of firmware updates and new service being introduced. Not to mention the core hardware features are better, like my Nintendo DS has Wi-Fi, but on the 360 you pay something like 60 Euros for this and the console doesn't even come with online play out of the box...

Do you have an exact quote with regard to your XBox 1.5 comment? Who said this? I can imagine Sony stating the PS3 is far more powerful than the 360, but that's something else.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
konnichiwa said:

Of course not, not specifically at least. Sure there are many 'Blu-Ray is Doomed / HD DVD kicks ass!' loud mouths here as well. But of the VGChartz members more people seem to own Metal Gear Solid 4 than Halo 3. So there are plenty of PS3 users who are members of this website as well.

Doesn't really mean much does it?  You are one of the 2007 survivors aren't ya?  The hate was huge then.

I am sure you remember threads like this:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=5447&page=2

Edit:  Lolz comments like this are priceless now:  Oh my God, some of you people must be REALLY stuck on Sony if you're delusional enough to think something like LittleBigPlanet could easily hit 1 million.