By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your personal biggest expectation subversions of 2008?

This is an opinion thread (and expectation is a subjective thing, since that's a term related to personal thoughts and feelings). It's about things you expected, and something else happened. Which ones subverted your expectations the most?

Me, it was GTA IV being outsold. I didn't expect it to be the Wii killer the HD fanboys were praying for, but I didn't expect Wii Fiit and Mario Kart Wii to outsell both versions combined.

(EDIT: Or maybe I did with MK Wii, and forgot about it, but when I saw it, I was a bit surprised)

Also, FFXIII on 360. I wasn't surprised, but I didn't expect it, at least not as a semi-simultaneous release.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I thought Brawl was going to outsell Mario Kart Wii, mostly just based on Brawl's head start. In retrospect it seems obvious it wouldn't.

I also thought 3rd party Wii support was going to be further along than it is right now. Japan is on-board, but the West still seems to be holding back. Maybe they're all just emulating Nintendo's Cone of Silence PR strategy, or maybe Wii Motion Plus pushed back a lot of projects.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

No core Nintendo franchises. I kinda expected either Zelda or Kid Icarus

melbye said:

Mario Kart and Smash Bros are core franchises, and they did come out this year. If you were expecting more, I understand. It's just there was more than nothing.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
melbye said:

Mario Kart and Smash Bros are core franchises, and they did come out this year. If you were expecting more, I understand. It's just there was more than nothing.

whoops, I meant announced, not released

Around the Network

Nintendo Wii core franchises being a lot worse than I'd expected/hoped and finding myself enjoying the non-games more than I'd expected. More of a personal expectation subversion I guess, but whatever.