By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - History in the Making... Wii Sports to become #1 Sold Videogame of All Time

Alright, we've got it. Here's the definition of a long-time good selling piece of software:

A game which contains characters or other objects which miss specific body parts, specifically legs or arms, are likely to sell an incredibly huge amount of software over an even more incredibly long period of time. Does the game make you feel as if you yourself do have no legs, this is all even more so.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

History in the making? Uhhhh, I thought for a game to take the "most copies sold" title it has to actually be sold.

It's all about the game.

N.Genckel said:
All games that has been bundled with the standard console pack, should not be counted. SMB and Wii Sports would never have sold that many units on their own. They'd easily sell millions, but not anywhere near the astronomic numbers they are at now. I'd say a game like Nintendogs is the game to celebrate over. It's sold more than 21 million alone and it has expanded gameing to the fairer sex in a massive way. When these little girls grow up, they will be games, just like us. Lucky son of mine.

Just to point out...

Nintendogs is in several Official DS Bundles.

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Khuutra said:
Phrancheyez said:
#1 sold game of all time? I'm not trying to undermine what this thread is trying to do - it's definitely a great achievement..but #1 sold? How many of those were actually sold individually? like 1/100,000th? Less? I have a hard time recognizing a game that's always been bundled as best selling ever, especially when no one buys the Wii for Wii Sports, it just happens to come with the console, and the console is the hottest thing on the market. Guess I'm a hater or something.

More than anything, applauding it for selling 300k a week in NA is retarded.

So Super Mario Bros. doesn't count either then, I assume.

Which makes Pokemon Red/Blue/Green the best-selling of all time.

I would agree with that statement whole heartedly, actually.  
Whether it was bundled for a short time or not - key phrase, short time.  It wasn't bundled since the systems start and still bundled now.  
Super Mario was good, but not nearly as good as the sales would make you believe.  Super Mario 2 and 3 were both better in my opinion, way better, and neither sold as much.

Thrillhouse said:
N.Genckel said:
All games that has been bundled with the standard console pack, should not be counted. SMB and Wii Sports would never have sold that many units on their own. They'd easily sell millions, but not anywhere near the astronomic numbers they are at now. I'd say a game like Nintendogs is the game to celebrate over. It's sold more than 21 million alone and it has expanded gameing to the fairer sex in a massive way. When these little girls grow up, they will be games, just like us. Lucky son of mine.

Just to point out...

Yeah, but how many of its sales come from them? 1M? 2M? The number is minor (compared to its total sales). Discounting it just for having a few bundles is very foolish.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
Phrancheyez said:
Khuutra said:
Phrancheyez said:
#1 sold game of all time? I'm not trying to undermine what this thread is trying to do - it's definitely a great achievement..but #1 sold? How many of those were actually sold individually? like 1/100,000th? Less? I have a hard time recognizing a game that's always been bundled as best selling ever, especially when no one buys the Wii for Wii Sports, it just happens to come with the console, and the console is the hottest thing on the market. Guess I'm a hater or something.

More than anything, applauding it for selling 300k a week in NA is retarded.

So Super Mario Bros. doesn't count either then, I assume.

Which makes Pokemon Red/Blue/Green the best-selling of all time.

I would agree with that statement whole heartedly, actually.  
Whether it was bundled for a short time or not - key phrase, short time.  It wasn't bundled since the systems start and still bundled now.

Super Mario was good, but not nearly as good as the sales would make you believe.  Super Mario 2 and 3 were both better in my opinion, way better, and neither sold as much.

Also to point out... Super Mario Bros. was bundled with the NES in several iterations. (Super Mario... / Super Mario, Duck Hunt... / Super Mario, Duck Hunt, World Class track Meet with Power Pad)

And these bundles continued for over 3-4 years,  so in comparison to Wii Sports, SMB was actually available as a bundle... LONGER, which attributes to its higher sales. The fact is the NES was avaialble well into the 90s and developed different sets and different designs, so we'll see how the Wii compares to it once this generation is done.

No one is sure what tomorrow will bring.

As for Pokemon, they are completely legit in the discussion... If you count multi-version games... The Official VGCHARTZ list does not, as it seperates Yellow from the others, as well as the GBA versions. I don't believe any title from the Original GameBoy era has been a pack-in... (Perhaps one... the only pack in I can think of was Pokemon Yellow with GameBoy Color... but that may have just been a store special.)

Going by that, they are at about 55 mil, give or take with Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Leaf Green, Fire Red... all versions of the same game. (Sorry, didnt add up the actual numbers)

Wii Sports will need quite some time to surpass that number if you count them all!

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Thrillhouse said:
N.Genckel said:

Just to point out...

Yeah, but how many of its sales come from them? 1M? 2M? The number is minor (compared to its total sales). Discounting it just for having a few bundles is very foolish.

EDITED!

All that was pointed out is that it is available in bundles, The number of how many sold is unknown, but ultimately irrelevant.

It is a very good conversation when you think about it. So many ways to interpret the numbers.

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

Wow, a lot of meltdowns in here...

I, for one, am impressed by the impact that this game has had on video gaming. Everyone from my youngest niece to my friend's grandparents have played and enjoyed this game. That's quite a feat for Nintendo. How many other developers can boast the same? Wii Sports is truly a system seller. I wonder what Nintendo will decide to do when they release WSR--bundle it with the system or sell it separately? All I know is that I can't wait for WM+. Who else plans on swordfighting with someone's grandma?

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Thrillhouse said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Thrillhouse said:
N.Genckel said:
Just to point out...

You are contradicting yourself. All that was pointed out is that it is available in bundles, and you said they should not be counted. The number of how many sold is unknown, but ultimately irrelevant if you go by your original statement.

It is a very good conversation when you think about it. So many ways to interpret the numbers.

Contradicting himself?  So you're saying that N.Geckel is an alt account of Oyvoyvoyv?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

That really sucks. SMB deserves to be #1. It's the game that a lot of us played first and it basically started off gaming. Wiisports is just a cheap pack-in.