By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - History in the Making... Wii Sports to become #1 Sold Videogame of All Time

So much uproar about Super Mario being surpased because Wii Sports is bundled. Why are people conveniently forgetting that almost all Super Mario sales were from bundles?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
tuoyo said:
So much uproar about Super Mario being surpased because Wii Sports is bundled. Why are people conveniently forgetting that almost all Super Mario sales were from bundles?

Thanks for stating the odvious.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

frybread said:
Everyone I've seen who has played Wii Sports has had fun, no matter their age or (in)experience with games. Hardcore lifelong gamers, my parents, drunk people at parties, everyone.

I can't think of a game that deserves the top spot more.

I never really had fun with it, granted I only played the bowling at a friends party once, however that is irrelevant. Congrats to Wii Sports, bundled or unbundled it would have pulled this off reguardless, only difference would have been when.

Phrancheyez said:
No, I'm pretty sure people aren't buying the Wii just for Wii Sports. Yes, it's a fun game..but unless the attach rate is 1.2 or something, your argument fails.

how do you explain the like 35-40% attach rate in Japan????? If no wants they game why has it sold 3.3 million copies on a user base of 7.2 in japan???

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

You all have it backwards,

Wii Sports was bundled with a free console.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
The_vagabond7 said:
That is pretty awesome. Super Mario Bros put NES's into everyone's homes and changed the face of videogames. And it's only fitting that Wiisports yet another Nintendo effort put's wii's into everybody's homes and again changes the face of videogames.

This.

This!

The_vagabond7 said:
darklich13 said:
Title of the thread should be

Wii Sports to become #1 Bundled Videogame of All Time

Seeing as how Super Mario Bros was bundled too, I don't see where the misnomer is. Don't be so sour, give credit where credit is due. Especially in this case where Wiisports is moving so many wii's rather than the other way around.

Because it is the other way around.  No one buys the Wii exclusively  to play Wii Sports.  Everybody bought the NES to play Mario.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
The_vagabond7 said:
darklich13 said:
Title of the thread should be

Wii Sports to become #1 Bundled Videogame of All Time

Seeing as how Super Mario Bros was bundled too, I don't see where the misnomer is. Don't be so sour, give credit where credit is due. Especially in this case where Wiisports is moving so many wii's rather than the other way around.

Because it is the other way around.  No one buys the Wii exclusively  to play Wii Sports.  Everybody bought the NES to play Mario.

If that's true, then why did the sales of the other 2 Mario's dip below half of the original?

Esa-Petteri said:
Sky Render said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Sky Render said:
Esa-Petteri said:
shams said:
WiiSports deserves it. Its still the best game on the Wii - easily.

Best game, hands down - and it deserves it easily.

Really? I would have thought that there are at least some better games on wii.

If you know of another game that's resulted in anywhere near as many people taking interest in the system as Wii Sports has, then please do inform us.

Oh now I see, it is the best because it "sells" a lot? Don't know about that, I don't give a crap if "average joe" likes big macs or wii sports. But hey, whatever makes you feel better. :)

Yes, how ridiculous of me to gauge success by something that can actually be measured. Clearly I should have chosen a "quality" standard (and there are so many to choose from!), and gone by that. What ever was I thinking, using logic and reason when I could be using rationalization and emotion instead? Thank you for showing me the error of my ways, my good man. Henceforth I shall abandon all clear thought in favor of acting on short-sighted personal wants!

...Oh dear, I've blown up another Sarcasm Meter. I do seem to run through those...

Don't worry, it is perfectly ok. A lot of people think that what sells a lot is good. You could do worse and look at the review scores. That is a smaller group of people, after all. Don't mind that reviewers usually know something about games.

I KNOW! I mean, look at Gears of wars 2 and Grand theft auto! eew!

dork.

People do buy the Wii to play Wii Sports. People did buy the NES to play SMB. What is the big deal anyway?

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!