By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - History in the Making... Wii Sports to become #1 Sold Videogame of All Time

#1 sold game of all time? I'm not trying to undermine what this thread is trying to do - it's definitely a great achievement..but #1 sold? How many of those were actually sold individually? like 1/100,000th? Less? I have a hard time recognizing a game that's always been bundled as best selling ever, especially when no one buys the Wii for Wii Sports, it just happens to come with the console, and the console is the hottest thing on the market. Guess I'm a hater or something.

More than anything, applauding it for selling 300k a week in NA is retarded.

Around the Network
Phrancheyez said:
#1 sold game of all time? I'm not trying to undermine what this thread is trying to do - it's definitely a great achievement..but #1 sold? How many of those were actually sold individually? like 1/100,000th? Less? I have a hard time recognizing a game that's always been bundled as best selling ever, especially when no one buys the Wii for Wii Sports, it just happens to come with the console, and the console is the hottest thing on the market. Guess I'm a hater or something.

So Super Mario Bros. doesn't count either then, I assume.

Which makes Pokemon Red/Blue/Green the best-selling of all time.

Phrancheyez said:

Maybe you should ask yourself WHY it is the hottest thing on the market...  I give you a hint: It's related with the game we're talking about. But you're right, of course, nobody bought a Wii because of Wii Sports, they all just bought it because they were awaiting all the Gamecube sequels. This is also why the Gamecube has sold so much copies. Oh wait...

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

No, I'm pretty sure people aren't buying the Wii just for Wii Sports. Yes, it's a fun game..but unless the attach rate is 1.2 or something, your argument fails.

Might you dare to explain why my argument fails?

Around the Network

@Khuutra
Wasn't Pokemon Red/Blue bundled some time too?
There were quite some posts saying Super Mario Land sold the most of non-bundled games.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

wheres a good facepalm graphic when you need it...I'm not here to keep this thread going..I just came to state my opinion - if you disagree, I'm sorry, your name provides all the explanation in the world for why. If, say, LBP launched with the PS3 and was selling the same, I wouldn't give it the same credit either.

The real difference is that LBP wouldn't have made a lot of impact in the best selling games list.

Look, games that are bundled for such a long time clearly HAVE an impact on a systems sales, this is why the company releasing the system doesn't change the bundled game.

Son1x said:
@Khuutra
Wasn't Pokemon Red/Blue bundled some time too?
There were quite some posts saying Super Mario Land sold the most of non-bundled games.

I never saw it bundled, myself. It never needed it.

Everyone I've seen who has played Wii Sports has had fun, no matter their age or (in)experience with games. Hardcore lifelong gamers, my parents, drunk people at parties, everyone.

I can't think of a game that deserves the top spot more.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8