By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Hybrid Blu-Ray: Plays in DvD Player (The 2004 Idea)

2004 Technology will bring a whole new appeal to Blu-Ray rather then those DvD/Blu-Ray Combos that are almost no were to be found these days..

Next: Is Price, When will the WW get it, If it really does work in all players, and if it's to late.

Hybrid Blu-Ray / DVD Disc Announced

Written by Lidija Davis / December 21, 2008 11:57 AM

Great news for those who have both Blu-ray and DVDs in the house; Infinity Storage Media has released the first hybrid Blu-ray and DVD disc in Japan.

The new media has a total storage capacity of 33.5GB and is compatible with existing DVD and Blu-ray players. The biggest advantage of the new media is backward compatibility - you can play it on your DVD or Blu-ray player.

How does it work?

Based on JVC's 2004 Blu-ray/DVD combo disc technology, Infinity has layered one format on top of the other on the same side of the disc, making it possible for the lasers to penetrate to the desired depth and read the required information.

The Blu-ray makes up the top layer (25GB) with two more layers beneath that make up the DVD layers (8.5GB). Separated by a semi reflective film, the blue laser accesses the top layer and bounces off the DVD layers, while the red laser penetrate the various layers to get to the DVD information underneath.

The company claims that it has achieved compatibility with 99 percent of tests made on 64 Blu-ray and DVD players and conforms to the Blu-ray Disc specifications released by the Blu-ray Disc Association.

As we mentioned earlier, technically, this is not new. In 2004, JVC released a prototype [PDF], but ISM is the first company to take the disc to production, and hopefully to the masses. The only disadvantage? Currently it's only available in Japan, and no release date has been set for the United States.

via: CDRInf

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Wow, wait! You mean it can play the "blu-ray" info on a DVD player as well (or maybe I got it all wrong, which I know I did)?

If so, does that mean that Microsoft just found their alternative? o_O

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

SHMUPGurus said:

Wow, wait! You mean it can play the "blu-ray" info on a DVD player as well (or maybe I got it all wrong, which I know I did)?

If so, does that mean that Microsoft just found their alternative? o_O

A new way to read data off a Blu-Ray... I'd say Ya.. PC, Wii, XBox.. might all have there eye on this.

But... so far.. The majoirty of the Disc is for the Blu-Ray Movie, a diffrent layer is for the DvD version, that can be read by the DvD lazer.

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Uh... ok.

That's a first to my knowledge.

Combo discs are fucking stupid. They were stupid when HD-DVD had them and they are stupid now. At least if they implemented them now people would probably have an option. They were a terrible idea with HD-DVD because you had to pay extra for the DVD even if you didn't want to.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

@akuma587.. Relax.. Combos aren't stupid, I mean it was an (option). They offered Combo sets or No Combo sets for the same movies so you had a choice. Some were the price as other HD/BR and some were just $5 more..

For people that put money into their entertainment center, they want a great picture, but they also think of the family and don't want to buy another disc for Road Trips, or TV in the kids room.

Also BR offered them as well, it wasn't an HD-DvD thing. 

The price isn't going to be cheap to start off to say the least... lol

"However, the first hybrid releases will be quite expensive. Pony/Canyon said that the fist movie package to be released in February would include a set of four hybrid discs (MPEG-4 AVC, Dolby Digital, 534 minutes in total) that will cost around 36,540 Yen ($406), while the DVD version (7 DVD discs, 534 minutes, Dolby Digital) will retail for 23,940 Yen ($266)."

Here is a better idea of what it looks like:

Now you can see the layers, take away the BR layor and you have many, many, DvD Layers.

Don't think a DvD Lazers would know how to read all those layers tho...

If you could have a BD-50 on there, then maybe, but it still seems like a complete waste. It would be another story if BD players weren't plummeting in price, but by the time this becomes mainstream I just don't see any reason for it. BD players will be pretty cheap by then.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

do this is basically the HD-DVD combo discs that failed before HD-DVD did? this will end quickly as most movies are on the 50GB Blu-ray Discs now..

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

The DVD would only be able to read the DVD layers ie. only access 8.5 gigs of data.

The question is whether a blu-ray player (that can play both blu-ray and dvd) will go insane trying to decide which format to read when faced with both at once, PS3 could fix this with a firmware update but all the standalone players might be screwed if this is fully implemented. Or they may have a preference for the DVD layer and might make all movies of this type play only in DVD mode and not Blu-ray mode.

So i kind of laugh at the backwards compatible notion.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

I really like this idea. I would buy them. So I can watch them where ever I want and lend them to friends.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.