By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was the Xenosaga anygood?

The end of the third episode is insane...Xenosaga by far has the most complex story I've ever seen in a game. I love it!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

About the only real issue I have with the XS story is the same issue I have with XG's story: it all boils down to tired and overused cliches in the end. With all the build-up, I expected something far more out-of-left-field and unexpected than what XS3 ended up delivering. Instead, I got what felt like an over-budget rendition of a Neon Genesis Evangelion episode.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

The storyline is OK, but not even within spitting distance of XGears. The cutscenes are actually longer and more frequent than in either MGS2 or 4, but the voice acting, animation is terrible making it at times difficult to watch. The dialogue is pretty stale as well, frankly, the series is OK, but doesn;t even amount to 10% of what XGears is.

Well DTG doesn't like it, so it's probably awesome. The story must be pretty good too.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

If you liked the storyline of Xgears, as did I, then Xenosaga's storyline doesn't even come close. It's good, but it's not literature. However the horrible Voice acting and dialogue probably has a large effect on my perception of the story, and if it was text based only, it may very well come off more engaging.

Around the Network

Xenogears has no relation to Xenosaga. It was originally intended to, but the guy who wrote and designed XG broke off from Square and lost all license to Xenogears. Thus Xenosaga is a completely unrelated mythos, though there are certain reference to XGears they amount to nothing more than easter eggs.

DTG: It's far more than just "references" to Xenogears, particularly in regards to the Xenogears Perfect Works book. Pretty much all of the major plot points in the last half of XS3 are covered in the early sections of XG Perfect Works as the events which led up to the incident during the opening of FMV of XG. As I said, Xenogears is based off of the prototype for the Xenosaga storyline, extracted and made into a standalone game due to it being the most suitable for that at the time. XG Perfect Works, on the other hand, contained all of the "clipped" story bits that clearly tied XG to the proto-XS storyline, and which tie it at least loosely to the finalized XS storyline too.

My biggest issue with this series is that they only released episode II in PAL (wtf someone was thinking) so i can't play it till i import us console.

Also it has pretty nice anime version.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Never heard of XG Perfect Work, just checked it out, is it Japanese only?
And is it canon? Because if the book contains many contradictions or fillers to the original XGears storyline I'd be cautious as to it's validity. Is it authored by the writer/designer of the game?

XG Perfect Works is Japanese, but fan translations have been done of it and most are available on the net. Perfect Works were essentially super-strategy-guides that Square put out during the PS1 era for many of their games (I know for sure that Xenogears, Legend of Mana, and Vagrant Story all got one), which contained inside information on the games' workings, the behind-the-scenes decisions, developer commentary, etc. Sort of like a specialized formatted design document and secrets guide all in one. It was more or less insisted upon by the scenario writer that the Xenogears Perfect Works guide include all of the cut information from the game that tied the game to the overarching then-prototype Xenosaga storyline.