By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was the Xenosaga anygood?

Episode 2 gets a lot of undeserved hate. Personally it was my favorite. I loved the combat system, and the game was actually difficult and had a lot of great post-game stuff you could do.

All the games have a phenomenal story, but I felt Episode 3 watered down the combat. It just felt like I was going through the motions more than it did in Episode 2, where you actually had to form some kind of strategy. I had more fun with Episode 2 than any of the others.

So don't listen to everyone who says Episode 2 is bad, judge for yourself. I did and waited a long time to play it, and was completely surprised how much I enjoyed it when I finally played the game.

Episode 3's one saving grace was that the mech combat was extremely well done.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Alright, Akuma allayed my fears. A little strategy in combat sounds good. All and all I'm looking forward to playing through the series. A question though, about how long are the episodes?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Estimate of about 40 hours an episode assuming you do some of the side stuff. You could probably blaze through it in 25-30. Also depends on if you are counting cutscenes.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Splenda14 said:
1 and 3 are really good but 2 is a disappointing compared to the first one but I think it was a very underrated rpg series on the PS2 and the games have very long cutscenes especially the first one

I totally agree with this comment.

2 was pretty disgusting, but 3 made up for it.  1 was by far the best, I still own them.

The story was what made Xenosaga what it was.  Although, the battle system was pretty fun in it's own.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

Oh my gosh, I only have xenosaga 3, but this game really really suck! Probably one of the worst RPG I played ever.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Episode 2 gets a lot of undeserved hate. Personally it was my favorite. I loved the combat system, and the game was actually difficult and had a lot of great post-game stuff you could do.

All the games have a phenomenal story, but I felt Episode 3 watered down the combat. It just felt like I was going through the motions more than it did in Episode 2, where you actually had to form some kind of strategy. I had more fun with Episode 2 than any of the others.

So don't listen to everyone who says Episode 2 is bad, judge for yourself. I did and waited a long time to play it, and was completely surprised how much I enjoyed it when I finally played the game.

Episode 3's one saving grace was that the mech combat was extremely well done.

Episode II is not bad by any means. I'd give it a solid 8 or 8.5/10. The problem is that for me I and III are 9.5+ games. But it's still a very enjoyable game. The main drawback it has it's that it is way shorter than the others (20 hours when the others are 40-45)

Word of warning for Ep. 2 and 3.

Make sure to use new game plus data (especially in 2), because the items you get you will use pretty much the entire game (they offer a speed boost).

This only really matters for the hardest battle in the game, but in Episode 2 pay attention to if your characters have a default element status on their attack (Ziggy and Chaos). The very hardest bosses in the game (post-game bosses) require some ridiculously good planning on you part. This sometimes includes adding an element status to your characters' attacks (that the boss is weak to) and creating a ridiculous chain combo of critical attacks.

This was only an issue on one post-game boss in particular (looks like a scorpion or something and he is located in the mines), who is obscenely hard if you don't know what you are doing since he only has one or two weaknesses. He's pretty much unbeatable if you don't plan out how to beat him since he will destroy you if you don't kill him before his HP drops below a certain point.

But these are the fights that made Xenosaga II so fun!!!

So Xenogears was episode....5? Or 6? Something of that nature, so are these actually precursors to Xenogears? It kind of looks like it to me. It seems like it's the war in space that lead to the ship crashing on the planet in Xenogears and the subsequent events, what with the Zohar and all.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I actually think it was like VII or VIII...don't ask me why they decided to put it so far ahead...but yeah...

Xenogears is credited at the end of the game as episode 5 of the original planned series. However, Xenosaga pretty much split off from the original plot written for Xenogears. Or perhaps it's more appropriate to say that Xenogears was purposefully extracted from the prototype of the Xenosaga storyline to work as a standalone game.

As for why, it was simple enough: the proto-Xenosaga storyline was not well-detailed or fully fleshed out, save for the last three parts (not unlike George Lucas' Star Wars trilogy planning). Of the three parts which were most fleshed out, the middle one was the best suited to adaptation as a standalone title.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.