By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any console ever had an higher fail rate than 360?

DRE comes to mind.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network
Daddo Splat said:
does any console have a better warranty then the 360 should be the question ?????

That's actually the only reason why I've given MS a pass on my XBOX RROD'ing.

I called them, and about 8 min. later, I was of the phone.

I went to my computer, and printed the UPS label.

Drove down to the UPS store and dropped it off.

Exactly 7-days later I got a new one (not a refurb).

So, MS gets a pass on the failure because they showed ownership of the problem, and it didn't cost me a dime.  All I ask for in a company that I buy a product from is that they stand behind that problem and fix it.  They did that, and because of the accountability the showed me, I'll will remain their customer.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Comrade Tovya said:
Daddo Splat said:
does any console have a better warranty then the 360 should be the question ?????

So, MS gets a pass on the failure because they showed ownership of the problem, and it didn't cost me a dime.  All I ask for in a company that I buy a product from is that they stand behind that problem and fix it.  They did that, and because of the accountability the showed me, I'll will remain their customer.

Microsoft.  Truly, paragons of virtue.

"This is the deep-dish, delicious irony endured by the Nintendo stalwart: to see their platform of choice ascendant, even as their bright God turns his face away."

Tycho Brahe

Yea, people should go through the trouble of warranty crap. Good quality products should not fall back on warranties, only if some accidental damage is done or a very small percentage like .003 are defective. The question is a legit question, as consumers we should know what products are defective or low quality in any way. Xbox is just famous for RROD.

I'm not sure if Xbox is the highest in fail rate, don't think there were many forums to discuss Atari, NES, and SNES during their time. Still, considering the fame of RROD maybe no other console has had this many problems.

Now some people may think I'm an xbox hater so I'll just say Wii has lots of crappy games and PS3 library is small and too expensive. There bad things about all consoles.

Tailgunner said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Daddo Splat said:

Microsoft.  Truly, paragons of virtue.

I do believe sir, that there is just a hint of sarcasm in your voice.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network
Nickelbackro said:

Maybe the controllers on the Atari 5200, those things dropped like flies.

I was going to say that. Those controllers were known to break if you looked at them the wrong way. You did not even have to play the games for the controllers to fail.  And since they were unique to the system (and unique for their time) ... it was just as if the entire system had failed. (There were some limited, costly, third-party options -- but nothing like today).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
Nickelbackro said:

Maybe the controllers on the Atari 5200, those things dropped like flies.

I was going to say that. Those controllers were known to break if you looked at them the wrong way. You did not even have to play the games for the controllers to fail.  And since they were unique to the system (and unique for their time) ... it was just as if the entire system had failed. (There were some limited, costly, third-party options -- but nothing like today).

Mike from Morgantown

I remember that actually.  My friend Josh had gotten one for Christmas long, long ago, and we played the 5200 like crazy for two weeks straight.  Then him and his family left out of town for two weeks, and when they came back, him and I tried to play... and the controllers were non-responsive.  They just didn't work anymore.  That was one poorly made system.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:
matt247 said:
PS1, NES

I wouldn't say the NES had a high failure rate, it was just finicky. 

I don't know anyone with a broken NES.... to this day.  I had a friend with a poor temper who threw the thing a couple times...

Yeah, but how many people do you know that has an NES that doesn't have to have some sort of trick to get the game to run? 

Mine is hold down the game for a second and then turn it on.  :-p

True.  Though every NES i played had the same trick... don't push the game in completly.  Instead push it in so the cartridge slightly grazes the system.

I was a master at it.

It's weird... I don't remember anyone ever showing me how to do that, but I did it that way too.  Like some gigantic NES collective unconscious.

The NES was absolutely finicky -- twesterm's right -- but otherwise rock-solid.  I don't know how many times the thing was hit, kicked, dropped, but it just kept on working.  I didn't even believe in "console failure" till the PS2s started going belly-up.

Endz said:

I'm not sure if Xbox is the highest in fail rate, don't think there were many forums to discuss Atari, NES, and SNES during their time. Still, considering the fame of RROD maybe no other console has had this many problems.

I would bet money that the 360 doesn't have anything close to the highest fail rate. Those early cartridge based systems seemed to have a lot more problems. I'm thinking back to all of the broken Intellivisions, Colecovisions and Atari systems that people have stored in boxes that became unusable for one reason or another after a few years. Early controllers also always died quickly compared to the NES and beyond.

If I recall, the Sega 32X was a device made of glass and porcelain that balanced on stilts over the Genesis and required a hammer to press the power button. The console add on had a 98% fail rate and there was at least one class action lawsuit from kids with 32 X shards lodged in their eyes.

Of course I might just be making that up.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.