By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA uses Xbox 360 graphics to sell Wii game

I find this story funny and quite stupid on the part of EA.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ea-rapped-for-misleading-tiger-woods-wii-ad

EA rapped for misleading Tiger Woods Wii ad

Electronic Arts has been rapped by the Advertising Standards Authority for misleading viewers over the graphics of its Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 Wii ads.

The ads featured the sportsman swinging a Wii remote, but showed Xbox 360 gameplay footage at the same time, giving the wrong impression of the visual quality of the Nintendo version of the game.

The publisher explained to the ASA that footage of the Wii game "would not be of broadcast quality" and had included text in the ad that the game was available on multiple formats in an effort to avoid confusion.

"They explained that Wii footage would not be of broadcast quality, and the originating agency had thought it preferable to use the Xbox footage, which was closer to broadcast definition, than to 'up the resolution' of Wii footage to broadcast quality," said the ASA.

However, the ASA upheld the complaint.

"Although we acknowledged that the message 'available on all formats' appeared in the final scene, we considered that viewers would infer from the ad that Tiger Woods was playing the game on a Wii console and the graphics shown behind him were representative of the actual game he was playing," said the watchdog.

"Because viewers would not be able to achieve the graphical quality shown in the ad on a Wii console, we concluded that the ad was misleading.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Yeah I read that earlier today, it's a real shame if you want my opinion.

Despicable!

"This is the deep-dish, delicious irony endured by the Nintendo stalwart: to see their platform of choice ascendant, even as their bright God turns his face away."

Tycho Brahe

And taking advantage of the wiimote to promote the same game for PS360 is aslo a shame. Tiger woods with buton mashing controls just sucks... That's why the wii version sells the most.

I think these developers are ashamed of the wii graphics, but why? Don't they realize most people don't care except for a few hardcore fans like me.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

See the sales of Kart Wii vs Tiger Woods.

You fail again EA.

Could it simply be that the type of games that EA makes is not the kind of game that the average Wii owner plays?

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

i had an issue with this , it's assumed the HD games use in game graphics for advertisements aswell as the Wii so whenever Ninty or other 3rd party publishers use CGI or HD graphics to advertise a Wii game it should really be false advertising and punishable by a fine.

its almost like they are saying "wii graphics look terrible on our viewers HD screen so we had to put the 360 on it"

LOL. Should be fined.

Whats up with your sig?