By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Aaaaaargh. College (University) was a complete waste of time for me.

Luckily for me due to the credit crunch people have been viewing animated films more (probly for the feel good factor) :D

Around the Network

You know what education sucks? Tourism. Seriously, it's filled with people who think they will end up as a touroperator or steward(ess), being constantly on a holiday. Most people end up at a travelagency advising people on locations they will never see with their paycheck.

And while we are on the subject, when it comes to university courses why is it that the law and psychology courses are constantly filled with people that are just there because they had to chose something? I don't get it, why are you just picking a course for the lulz?

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Esmoreit said:
You know what education sucks? Tourism. Seriously, it's filled with people who think they will end up as a touroperator or steward(ess), being constantly on a holiday. Most people end up at a travelagency advising people on locations they will never see with their paycheck.

And while we are on the subject, when it comes to university courses why is it that the law and psychology courses are constantly filled with people that are just there because they had to chose something? I don't get it, why are you just picking a course for the lulz?

Most universities make you take electives from other schools.

I was in the engineering school but I still had to take rhetoric, philosophy, music, and other courses as well.  That's what those people are in those courses (and they all weren't 1000 or freshman level courses).

twesterm said:
Esmoreit said:

I was in the engineering school but I still had to take rhetoric, philosophy, music, and other courses as well.  That's what those people are in those courses (and they all weren't 1000 or freshman level courses).

Rhetoric and philospohy I understand, those are general subjects that can apply anywhere, but music?

Anyway, I think I worded it wrong. I didn't so much mean courses but rather psychology or law as a full study.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

You just have to take some low end jobs for awhile until you have some experience. That is just how it works.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
Esmoreit said:
twesterm said:
Esmoreit said:

Rhetoric and philospohy I understand, those are general subjects that can apply anywhere, but music?

Anyway, I think I worded it wrong. I didn't so much mean courses but rather psychology or law as a full study.

Yup, the music class I had to take was Music: the Art of Listening

The college I went to(SMU), they gave you so many columns and then you had a pick a class from each of those columns except one (or something like that).  A lot of them sucked hard (things like women's rights and religious classes) but some were cool.

If I remember correctly the ones I chose were:

Music: the Art of Listening
Contemporary Moral Choices
Medieval History (of course I was going to take this one anyways since I was a class shy of a Medieval Studies minor)
Statistics (which was a joke if you're already taking math classes)
Some class about peoples rights, forget what it was called
Chivalry in Film and Literature
The History of King Arthur

On top of that we had to take science classes and I picked Physics 1, Physics 2, and Chemistry.

General education requirements are a pain in the ass.

@ Moongoddess: You, me, and General Petraeus with our International Affairs degrees. None of us ever amount to anything.

Edit: Oh, if you mean a good paying job, you are right.  If you mean fulfilling work...

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Well I enjoyed the classes I had to take anyways, except for the Economics.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

Trades are better than uni degrees. At the end of a day a trade qualification guarantees you a job. If only i did a trade instead.

numonex said:
Trades are better than uni degrees. At the end of a day a trade qualification guarantees you a job. If only i did a trade instead.

This is true. I kind of concluded after college that college is meant more for A.) Living out your youth a bit. B.) Networking. C.) Proving that you are motivated enough to make it all the way through and get that degree.

The getting educated part always seemed secondary to that.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan