By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Meet the PSP 2

The DS is capable of 3D...

Anyway, the iPhone already has loads of 3D games. It's definitely more powerful than the DS.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Now, i should add that as an electronics maker, Sony will still continue to make all sorts of electronic devices, which means there'll probably continue to be hand held things that do stuff. And some of those things may even feature the ability to play some downloaded games.

But that's a big difference than a Playstation Portable.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Now, i should add that as an electronics maker, Sony will still continue to make all sorts of electronic devices, which means there'll probably continue to be hand held things that do stuff. And some of those things may even feature the ability to play some downloaded games.

But that's a big difference than a Playstation Portable.

It will be interesting to see if "PSP" turns into a liquid platform across a wide range of products.

You know, like the new NGage, except not entirely crappy.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I cant see the Iphone being something that parent buy for their kids to play games on... that is the heart and sole of the DS market, yea they got some older people with the Brain Age games and such, but Kids are never gonna leave Ninty.

I could see the Brain Age Crowd migrating in small numbers to the iphone gaming however.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

The iPhone/iTouch is capable of some pretty nice 3D graphics already, and I believe there's still room for improvement. I bet once John Carmack releases whatever he's working on for the platform, it will be a measure of the real power in terms of graphics. But, although the system has a lot of power, the OS is a multipurpose OS with loads of libraries and it takes up most of the memory. It's not optimized for gaming purposes. Add to that the fact that there is no disk cache, and devs have to really think about memory usage.

I understand that the iPhone is hot right now, but it's actually the iTouch that Apple themselves are marketing for gaming. Parents are not going to buy iPhones for their kids, but some might buy an iTouch. Then again, kids have never been a target demographic for Apple, they have always gone for the people with money. But this time around, the real deal is that the apps are going to determine to a large part who and what is the target market. For kids, parent's could buy cartoons and a few suitable games to keep the kids happy during car trips. That doesn't sound all too bad, now does it?