By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
mai said:
What is all this hype about? Just because of Metal Gear has been announced for iPhone? Well, there're even more sequels and spin-offs of major franchises on mobile phones in Japan, mainly for NTT DoCoMo platforms. I doubt that Apple has a great marketshare in mobile gaming, and supposed income of it's gaming store is just laughable comparing to handhelds (and even more laughable comparing to mobiles, I dunno exact numbers but expect it to be quite huge).

BUT Apple certanily has a chance to be successful on handheld market IF they're going to produce handheld gaming console, brand recognition is strong, even in Japan. And IF this's going to happen the first victim will be... PSP.

True, but aslong as the PSP Continues to get major support from Square Enix (Which is has and continues to) and other 3rd party devs such as capcom, game republic, konami, and Koie. were all good.

As much as i dislike Nintendo's Wii... I'd rather buy a Wii anyday then a damn iPhone...Blasphemous!

Around the Network
mai said:
What is all this hype about? Just because of Metal Gear has been announced for iPhone? Well, there're even more sequels and spin-offs of major franchises on mobile phones in Japan, mainly for NTT DoCoMo platforms. I doubt that Apple has a great marketshare in mobile gaming, and supposed income of it's gaming store is just laughable comparing to handhelds (and even more laughable comparing to mobiles, I dunno exact numbers but expect it to be quite huge).

BUT Apple certanily has a chance to be successful on handheld market IF they're going to produce handheld gaming console, brand recognition is strong, even in Japan. And IF this's going to happen the first victim will be... PSP.

I just said what the hype is about. If you read my article you'll notice that the MGS game is barely mentioned. But like I said, Apple has been marketing the device for the most part and not it's gaming capabilities, but they're starting to position the touch as a game machine, and the way Apple releases  new iterations of the ipod all the time, it's a given that more and more ipods will take on the technology of the touch and that some touches will become cheaper as well.

Apple has a phenomenally high selling line of sleek devices with powerful processors, digital game distribution and touch/motion recognition. Why on earth would they want to release a separate hand held gaming system when they already have one that also does a million other things and everybody wants?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Hmh.We have many great titles for PSP next year,Final Fantasys,Kingdom Heart,Parasite Eve 3,many others,so I think there is no need for PSP2 in 2009.
But at 2010 it is must.

Take my love, take my land..

UMD on PSP
Blu-ray on PS3

what's next?

@stof

Likely they won't as you just said, and as long gaming is secondary function for iPhone\iTouch I can't see it competing DS or PSP (mobile gaming != handheld gaming from any possible viewpoint). Apple even not big in mobile gaming (this's my speculations but I bet this's true). Yes, they're successful selling iPods but why do publishers will hugely support Apple? Regular mobile market in terms of install base is much more bigger than iPhone\iTouch (even my old mobile phone>iPhone as a gaming device). Well, of course, Apple devices marketed as gaming platforms (I mean, those ridiculous claims of Apple repres), and that what prepare the ground for talks like... Apple is enetering handheld gaming market or Apple is a threat to DS\PSP. But that's just marketing.

Around the Network

My god, we're 14 post in and no one has ridiculed the iphone for having no buttons. This must be some sort of record!

But seriously, I agree with almost everything that you have said. The PSP has no sizable market anymore. Remember, Sony was originally billing the PSP as 'the ipod for the 21st century'. Now, forgetting for the moment the the ipod was, in fact, originally made in the 21st century, it is funny as hell that the ACTUAL ipod of the 21st century is now stealing some of the same gaming market that the PSP was meant to dominate.

To be fair, Apple could still screw this up, but it's not looking very likely at this point. Even assuming modest growth, by this time next year there will be more iphones+itouchs than PSPs. Plus, unlike the DS, there really aren't any tier-1 franchises tying people to the PSP. Apple also needs to fix the very real problems with the app store. Namely how it is encouraging extremely inexpensive apps by not providing for demos and trials and also by refusing to weigh apps sales by revenue as oppose to aggregate sales, which pushes cheaper, higher volume apps to the top of the popularity lists.

As for the controls issue, I'm not too worried. Some of my favorite games of all time were played with a single mouse button, and they weren't simple games either. In fact one of them, SimCity, is being released for the iphone. I hope it is good, as it would go a long way towards legitimizing the iphone as a real gaming platform.

labrats5 said:
My god, we're 14 post in and no one has ridiculed the iphone for having no buttons.

That's not true.

You could glue the buttons on the touch screen. Voila, you've got buttons.

MontanaHatchet said:
The sad thing is that I saw it coming before I even entered the thread.

Oh, me too! Give me some awesome points!

(though I did see this before http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1561428)

mai said:

@stof

Likely they won't as you just said, and as long gaming is secondary function for iPhoneiTouch I can't see it competing DS or PSP (mobile gaming != handheld gaming from any possible viewpoint). Apple even not big in mobile gaming (this's my speculations but I bet this's true). Yes, they're successful selling iPods but why do publishers will hugely support Apple? Regular mobile market in terms of install base is much more bigger than iPhoneiTouch (even my old mobile phone>iPhone as a gaming device). Well, of course, Apple devices marketed as gaming platforms (I mean, those ridiculous claims of Apple repres), and that what prepare the ground for talks like... Apple is enetering handheld gaming market or Apple is a threat to DSPSP. But that's just marketing.

The ipod touch is on a significantly different level than most mobile cell phones. It's a combination of strong hardware, unique input methods and a significantly large userbase that elevate it in to the realms of a gaming machine. I understand why a lot of people would be skeptic of this, as we're used to gaming machines being launched as gaming machines as opposed to existing devices becoming gaming machines after they've been on the market for a while.

Of course, even the mobile gaming industry is growing on a massive scope with a lot of major devs devoting resources to it. What dev wouldn't want a crack at the ipod touch/phone? What's that? Fastest growing user base and I don't have to worry about a physical media format? Sign me up!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof Apple fanboy confirmed!!!11111!!!11!11

XD jk