By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft recommends switching to a browser besides IE

Erik Aston said:
I prefer IE.

I said it.

Multiple home pages, superior tabbing, superior bookmarking. Seriously.

I have my firefox loading my gmail and yahoo mail accounts on startup (or home button, if you prefer). So multiple home pages is possible on firefox, even if it is a tad tricky to get to work.

As for superior tabbing / bookmarking, how so? im curious.

um..stuff

Around the Network

@Leo-J

It took me about a week or two to get used to Firefox, it's worth the pain of switching over. I still have IE for certain program that will only work on it (such as Netflix)

Firefox is the way to go.

I haven't used IE for years.

And then I switched from Firefox to Opera.

Next, I'll buy a Mac!

Dragonos said:
Erik Aston said:
I prefer IE.

I said it.

Multiple home pages, superior tabbing, superior bookmarking. Seriously.

I have my firefox loading my gmail and yahoo mail accounts on startup (or home button, if you prefer). So multiple home pages is possible on firefox, even if it is a tad tricky to get to work.

As for superior tabbing / bookmarking, how so? im curious.

First of all there's a tab stub to open a new tab instead of command-T. And IE opens a new tab directly after the current one, instead of at the end of the line, so pages from the same website stay in line together.

Favorites, feeds and history are all in one click-open panel so that I can open a bunch of pages without renavigating a drop-down menu. It can also be reorganized more easily.

I'm sure some of that can be set up in Firefox, but I haven't been convinced to switch for a bit of speed and better standards compliance. IE is more of a standard than the actual standards anyways.

I have IE, Firefox and Safari all on my desktop though. And I have to admit that IE's content warnings are a pain. When I'm opening something from my desktop or that I just FTP'ed, I'm not worried about it being malicious, IE.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
I switched back from Firefox because I wanted to be a total immersion Microsoft fanboy. Now that I support Sony I guess I can switch back.

Good choise.

Of course, you do realise that now that you support Sony, you will have to use your PS3/PSP browser exclusively until such time as Sony release it for PC.

Sadly, it's just one of those things.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

FireFox FTW.

The better people of this world use Firefox. It's filled with raw power like the man below.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
NintendoMan said:

The better people of this world use Firefox. It's filled with raw power like the man below.

That does it.

FF 4 me 4 eva now!

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Garamond said:
I haven't used IE for years.

And then I switched from Firefox to Opera.

Next, I'll buy a Mac!

Will you switch to Safari? I'm pretty much a Firefox only guy (been using it for a few years now) and even when I happen to use my sister's iBook, I still use Firefox on there instead of Safari, hehe. I'm planning to buy a Mac when I get my next laptop, though I'll still probably use Firefox.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"