By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War 3 Will Have Four Times The Texture Resolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_mapping

Around the Network

I wonder what the original god of war games used.. seemed to be pretty high rez but it also has a lot to do with the engine, how it renders the textures.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
if any of you've played god of war you'll know that it's some of the best textures ever to be found on the ps2 system. So 4 times that should be pretty neat.

yes but four times the quality of a ps2 game makes it at about todays typical standards of textures and quality. saying its gonna look better than the last game doesnt necessarily mean its gonna be the best graphics in the ps3's list of games 

Probably they are going from 128*128 to 512*512 ¬¬

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
McPancak3s said:
Staude said:
if any of you've played god of war you'll know that it's some of the best textures ever to be found on the ps2 system. So 4 times that should be pretty neat.

yes but four times the quality of a ps2 game makes it at about todays typical standards of textures and quality. saying its gonna look better than the last game doesnt necessarily mean its gonna be the best graphics in the ps3's list of games 

It's not just A ps2 game though. It's one that rivals some games this gen.

Around the Network
Staude said:
McPancak3s said:
Staude said:

where does it say its going to have four times the tectures on a playstation 3 game? i glanced over the article again to make sure that i mightve missed that line, but i dont see it. it keeps referring to how beautiful it will be compared to its last game (god of war 2). if i missed out of something in the article, please quote it for me. 

Staude said:
McPancak3s said:
Staude said:

where does it say its going to have four times the tectures on a playstation 3 game? i glanced over the article again to make sure that i mightve missed that line, but i dont see it. it keeps referring to how beautiful it will be compared to its last game (god of war 2). if i missed out of something in the article, please quote it for me. 

FJ-Warez said:

probably. i saw the trailer for the game (the gameplay one) and it looks like it could be put on the 360. no offense to the 360 owners, but playstatipn 3 takes pride in its renown graphics and physics... so how come one of their most popular games from the previous generation isnt going to be the best?

McPancak3s said:
FJ-Warez said:

probably. i saw the trailer for the game (the gameplay one) and it looks like it could be put on the 360. no offense to the 360 owners, but playstatipn 3 takes pride in its renown graphics and physics... so how come one of their most popular games from the previous generation isnt going to be the best?

Don't worry, when it's shown again your jaw will most likely drop. I mean jaffe himself said that this wasn't what they had shown him, and what they had shown him was.. quote "Fucking awesome" and "Like a living painting"

I'm expecting to be blown away. But in either case, what we did see was ingame, and animation wise it can't be denied that it looks fucking sick :P

regarding your other post it says in the top it's 4 times the resolution of previous god of war games. Now god of war games have always looked awesome. Textures were really good. Even comparable with some current gen games... that's why i say that it'll be enough :P and probably more than enough.. most likely awesome. What we saw was probably a unpolished build. These guys help GG polish up killzone 2.

oh yeah and you have to concider when this game is coming out (3 years into the ps3s lifespan) as compaired to when the old god of war games came out for the ps2 (5-7 years in the life span.. big difference)

Tyrannical said:

God of War 3 will use a custom game engine that delivers four times the texture resolution of its predecessor.

So, basicly Sony just announced it's a 720p game.

480p = 480*640 = 307k pixels

720p = 720x1280 = 921k pixels

Though according to my math, it only uses 3 times as many.

Not entirely true, its a lot lower then that and even its hidden high res mode is 448by640.

Which BTW does not mean its textures are aproaching that resolution.