By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jaffe admits "meh" GOW3 debut, promises game looks much better

UPDATED: With New Article

Jaffe: Continue To Wait For God Of War III's Visual Awesomeness

Remember when God of War producer David Jaffe gushed orgasmically about the footage he'd seen from the PlayStation 3 entry in the series, writing that it was "like a painting come to life"?

And that it was "HOLY HOLY HOLY FUCKING HELL!!!!"? And everyone got their hopes up? And then the God of War III trailer came out?

Well, while some of us thought the thing looked absolutely spectacular, even in tiny-vision from 200 feet away, some of the more emotionally invested forum dwelling creatures disagreed that it looked any better than God of War II or a pile of dog excrement or something along those lines. And that it certainly didn't look like any painting come to life that they'd ever seen! Apparently, they've taken it up with the Eat Sleep Play, who felt compelled to respond in the Jaffe fashion.

He addressed his detractors on his blog today, writing that what we witnessed last night during the Spike TV VGAs wasn't exactly the footage that got him so excited.

"It is NOT the thing I was raving about- as I made clear in a video post a week ago- but I still think it looks darn good," Jaffe wrote. "To me, the stuff Spike showed when viewed in proper resolution looks like a AAA God Of War to me. It doesn’t rock my world but it doesn’t look: meh. It looks like I’d expect a next-gen GOW to look."

Jaffe clarifies that the gush-worthy stuff "has not been shown outside of internal Sony meetings" and that he hopes it will be shown soon, maintaining that God of War III "remains the best looking console game I’ve ever seen…beyond Gears 2 which so far is the best looking console game ever released."

We can't wait. We're readying our patented console graphics wow-o-meter so we can do this scientifically.

SPIKE AWARDS + GAME AWARDS IN GENERAL [DavidJaffe.biz]

First Article:

Jaffe admits 'meh' GOW3 debut, promises game looks much better

Some of you were underwhelmed by God of War III's VGA debut ... including franchise creator David Jaffe. The outspoken developer did a little rant on his blog, indicating a small amount of disappointment in the presentation. "The footage aired on Spike looked meh. It was dark and grainy and I was watching on a SD television." However, he does promise things will look up. "The stuff I saw that I raved about was probably finished 1-2 days before I got to the studios. The Spike stuff I saw had aleady been turned into Spike so it was 100% older. Not that I thought it was bad- again- just I can see how the new stuff I saw looked further along, for sure. And to give you an idea, the stuff I saw that I raved about looked about 25-30% better than what you see in this thread."

Looks like the game may have been shown off a bit too early. Rest assured, though. Jaffe reassures us that the upcoming PS3 God of War game will be "the best looking console game" besting his current fave, Gears of War 2. We'll hold you on that sentiment, Mr. Jaffe.

The new game director of the God of War franchise has a lot of work on his hands, especially considering this will be the "last installment" of the franchise. "We have large shoes to fill following the success of the previously released God of War titles," said Stig Asmussen . "But with refined gameplay and jaw-dropping visuals, I guarantee that God of War will give fans what they have been eagerly waiting for, and much more."

[Via Joystiq]

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Oh Noez! Last installment?

The new game director of the God of War franchise has a lot of work on his hands, especially considering this will be the "last installment" of the franchise. "We have large shoes to fill following the success of the previously released God of War titles," said Stig Asmussen . "But with refined gameplay and jaw-dropping visuals, I guarantee that God of War will give fans what they have been eagerly waiting for, and much more."

Did i read that correctly. Last installment. NOOOOO! they cant stop GOW.

why would a sony dev say the current best graphics is gears 2. he should of said a sony game

Oniichan said:

The new game director of the God of War franchise has a lot of work on his hands, especially considering this will be the "last installment" of the franchise. "We have large shoes to fill following the success of the previously released God of War titles," said Stig Asmussen . "But with refined gameplay and jaw-dropping visuals, I guarantee that God of War will give fans what they have bee n eagerly waiting for, and much more."

Kratos would run out of gods to kill, anyway.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Around the Network

well thats a relief.

hotrodx said:
Oniichan said:

The new game director of the God of War franchise has a lot of work on his hands, especially considering this will be the "last installment" of the franchise. "We have large shoes to fill following the success of the previously released God of War titles," said Stig Asmussen . "But with refined gameplay and jaw-dropping visuals, I guarantee that God of War will give fans what they have bee n eagerly waiting for, and much more."

Kratos would run out of gods to kill, anyway.

You got a good point there. Well the better make this one memorable like MGS4 was.

craighopkins said:
why would a sony dev say the current best graphics is gears 2. he should of said a sony game

No,he said that Gears 2 is the best graphics now,then KZ2 comes out and is supposly better,then GoW3 comes out and Eats both,therefore making the hype better,its more of a sacrifice to them to make the quality higher.

I highly doubt it will be the end of God Of War......theres too much money to be made not to keep milking the young(3 games total thus far) series.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

craighopkins said:

He was telling the truth for a change.