By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Sony really got it right with Blu Ray

kanariya said:
Passenger57 said:
With BD's slow reading speeds, I doubt any next x console will be using it.

Did DVD launch with 16x reading speed?

You know you beat them when everyone ignores your post. People just assume that Blu Ray will stay at the same level technologically as it came out. How fast did DVD read when it first came out? Whats the fastest DVD reader on the market now? Expect the same leaps for Blu-Ray. If it beats DVD I dont really care, I have both and love em both.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network
masterb8tr said:
anyone who thinks download or streaming will be main stream anytime soon, needs to see a shrink.

qft.

It's all about the game.

Steps to overcome doubting Blu-ray and doucheness:

1) Be a douche
2) Post on vgchartz that blu-ray is a minimal upgrade to DVD
3) Get laughed at
4) Go watch a blu-ray movie for the first time
5) Totally rethink your life and what you have stood for
6) Buy a blu-ray player and a ton of movies
6) Reflect

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

lilwingman said:
With the 400 GB blu-rays from Pioneer, I'm not sure anyone will have to be concerned over lack of storage in the coming years...

Too bad 400 gigs isnt gonna be used,infact 50 gigs is the max for PS3,even tho blu ray can go more they wont go past dual layer.

Passenger57 said:
With BD's slow reading speeds, I doubt any next x console will be using it.

loool,,,this is a fine example of one person not knowing anything about bluray and giving a comment.

you know that bluray drives come in different speeds right?

PS3 bluray reader is 2X which is about the same speed as 12X DVD in 80% of times.

1× at 36 Mbit/s
2× at 72 Mbit/s
4× at 144 Mbit/s
6× at 216 Mbit/s[1]
8× at 288 Mbit/s
12× at 432 Mbit/s

do you know how much faster 6X blu ray reader is from 12X dvd reader?

Around the Network
Garnett said:
lilwingman said:
With the 400 GB blu-rays from Pioneer, I'm not sure anyone will have to be concerned over lack of storage in the coming years...

Too bad 400 gigs isnt gonna be used,infact 50 gigs is the max for PS3,even tho blu ray can go more they wont go past dual layer.

Umm, did you miss the announcement when they said the PS3 (as well as all other BD players) was compatible with the 400 GB disc?

It's all about the game.

Garnett said:
lilwingman said:

it was confirmed that the 400GB disk works with the PS3 with a siomple FW update.

you can look up the article

Yes i know they can work with PS3 but its not gonna happen,just like how DVD can do 4x layer as well,its not gonna happen.

400 gigs is really good tho

numonex said:
Beta is similar to today's Blu-Ray. Beta was superior than VHS but VHS won. DVD I believe will hold off Blu-Ray and DVD will out live Blu-Ray. In a way history repeats. Format with a well established market dominance holds off the new comer until the next technology will be introduced in the future.

1. Blu-Ray/DVD: one is HD-Video format and the other is SD video format, Beta/VHS were both analog SD formats competing directly

2. Blu-Ray is out 10 years after DVD, and BR had to compete against a similar format called HD-DVD that was released the same year; Beta was released one year earlier than VHS and this WAS THE SIMILAR FORMAT...

3. Beta had the majority of the market before VHS took over, the winner was decided because of the format lenght, with Beta you could record a show, with VHS you could record an entire football game, an entire primetime + late night, or a TV-Movie; The other reason was price (it was not much of a difference but mixed with lenght it was a perfect storm)... Blu-Ray had the same outcome against HD-DVD (25 GB vs 15 GB), and DVD was never in a format war because it is the unified format of 2 groups...

Blu-Ray haters, whatever your reason is to hate this format, get your facts straight before saying this kind of stuff...

Viper1 said:
The Next X console doesn't have to have Blu Ray considering there are already several competing mediums that surpass Blu Ray's capacity.

For movie playback, it can retain DVD playback and do just fine. Blu Ray, though doing OK, will never replace DVD completely as its ubiquity is something Blu Ray simply will never match.

Sure Blu Ray beat the HD DVD format (thanks almost entirely to the PS3, but don't crown it a winner just yet. Especially with a global recession bearing down on it.

Microsoft creates media center consoles.  Their consoles are far more than just machines to play games.  The liklihood of their next console NOT including the ability to play the primary HD format on the market is slim.