By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Recession allows cheaper PS3 production?

I was wondering if  that due to the ongoing recession, does that in fact make it cheaper for sony to purchase the parts required to produce a PS3? Many things have come down in price, oil being one of them, i wondered if in fact the ps3 components had come down in price? just a thought.

Around the Network

LOL...maybe.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Yea, you are probably correct however the production cost reductions they may make are no doubt being dwarfed by the amount they are losing due to the strong Yen.

SMcc1887 said:
Yea, you are probably correct however the production cost reductions they may make are no doubt being dwarfed by the amount they are losing due to the strong Yen.

Every little helps though

One thing to point out , is that it's also going to make the competition cheaper as well...which would allow them to look at price cuts and increased profit margins.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:
SMcc1887 said:

lol, you sound like the guy from the Tesco adverts here in the UK

heruamon said:
One thing to point out , is that it's also going to make the competition cheaper as well...which would allow them to look at price cuts and increased profit margins.

I am well aware of that. The point of this thread was on how the PS3 production costs. Forgetting the competition, how much does it actually cost to Produce aPs3 atm.

SMcc1887 said:
blazinhead89 said:
SMcc1887 said:

lol, you sound like the guy from the Tesco adverts here in the UK

. Sainsburys FTW :P

blazinhead89 said:
heruamon said:

I am well aware of that. The point of this thread was on how the PS3 production costs. Forgetting the competition, how much does it actually cost to Produce aPs3 atm.

Well I think they are approaching the "break even" stage. I think wikipaedia stated that it cost $400 to produce in summer this year as opposed to $800 at launch.

SMcc1887 said:
blazinhead89 said:
heruamon said:

Well I think they are approaching the "break even" stage. I think wikipaedia stated that it cost $400 to produce in summer this year as opposed to $800 at launch.

All of those figures ($800, $400, etc) are speculation from analysts. Sony never confirmed any production costs, all they said is they're not breaking even yet (and that was before the dollar/euro went down the crapper).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957